Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Full-time · Entry level
The Grants Officer will support in oversight and management of the sub grants under Jhpiego/Tanzania’s USAID Afya Yangu program. S/he advises and assists in the design, development, and oversight of the sub-grants management policies, procedures and practices. Provides guidance and interpretation of grants policy for program staff as well as grantees. Assist the Senior Grants Officer to analyze and evaluates grant applications, and awards to ensure adherence to grants management policies and donor requirements and work closely with the technical team to analyze work plans, budget estimates, and Milestones for reasonableness and consistency. He/she will be required to travel to the field to conduct compliance visits from time to time.
Job Grade: 8
This position is open to Tanzanians only
- Work with the Senior Grants Officer and Grants Director, Cluster Managers and other technical staff to oversee the process of selecting grantees for the award.
- This will include conducting pre-award assessments to determine the responsibility of prospective grantees and providing feedback to the applicants as per guidance from the project’s leadership.
- Coordinate and participate in developing the scope of work and budgets for prospective grantees
- In coordination with other grants officers/finance officers and technical teams, maintain and update the sub-award tracking system on monthly basis, including invoices and technical reports, in accordance with subgrants’ documents.
- In coordination with the finance office and technical team, conduct timely review and verification of deliverables submitted by sub-grantees on regular basis, including budget analysis and review.
- Make determinations of risk profiles of prospective grantees and recommend appropriate approaches to mitigate the risks identified
- Provide technical assistance to staff and grantees on administrative policies and procedures for grants management such as;
- Jhpiego grants management policies and procedures
- Policies and procedures for procurement under sub-grants
- Interpretation of donor regulations
- Grantee monitoring
- Review monthly reports against the milestones where each grantee submits requests for reimbursements, liquidations, financial status, monitoring and evaluation of data and a narrative progress report.
- Consolidate programmatic and financial review feedback for all Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Local
- Government Authorities (LGAs) and assess the implementation of the recommendations set forth on regular basis.
- Monitor the performance of sub-grantees including expenditure analysis and progress on targets, and coordinate with the finance and technical teams for mitigation strategies.
- Ensure systems and tools are in place to enable successful monitoring of the action at contractual and programmatic levels.
- Be a liaison person and maintain a comprehensive timetable for grants audits and facilitate auditors to carry out the required audits in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Oversee accuracy, presentation and timeliness of all grant programmatic and financial reports, ensuring reconciliation to USAID AFYA YANGU Annual Work Plan and Jhpiego accounts system respectively.
- Build the capacity of sub-grantees in the areas of grants management and compliance with donor and organizational policies.
- Conduct site visits to selected grantee organizations to directly observe project implementation, provide project management support, and train on USAID rules and regulations.
- In collaboration with Grants Manager organize and maintain all project documents and files related to the grant process and individual grantee activities.
- In collaboration with Grants Manager maintain and update specific project and related correspondence files, tracking and status sheets, and databases.
- In collaboration with Grants Manager collect and maintain complete documentation of submission/transmittal of reports that are specific to grants under prime awards.
- Inventory of property in grantees’ custody
- VAT reports of grantees
- Audit reports of grantees
- Other deliverables (programmatic and financial) of grantees
- In collaboration with Grants Manager conduct investigations to resolve contractual issues/problems/disputes arising from grants and make recommendations to the Finance and Operations Director and Chief of Party for resolution.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, project management or a related field [Master’s degree preferred]
- Professional training related to grants management is an added advantage
- Minimum of five years of post-qualification experience in a grants management position in a reputable NGO or development agency.
- Program management skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills – Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with staff at all levels
- Tax Knowledge – In-depth knowledge of Tanzania income tax regulations
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations
- Supervisory skills- Ability to Mentor and train other Finance staff
- Knowledge of the Microsoft office suite
- Knowledge of sub-awards and mandatory award requirements