JOB TITTLE: Head of Biomedical Section.
DEPARTMENT: Engineering Department (Centre of Excellence).
LOCATION: Bugando Hill, Mwanza -Tanzania.
JOB TYPE: Full time contract.
STRUCTURE OF AUTHORITY: The Biomedical Engineer/Technician will report to the Head of Engineering.
DURATION: Employment contract will be for 24 months, with the possibility for extension depending on availability of funds.
Background and Purpose:
The Bugando Medical Centre (BMC) is the tertiary, consultant, teaching and referral hospital for the Lake and Western Zones of the United Republic of Tanzania, serving 8 regions namely Mara, Mwanza, Simiyu, Shinyanga, Tabora, Kigoma, Geita and Kagera with an estimated total population of 16 million people. The Tanzania Episcopal Conference (TEC) is the owner of BMC and runs it in close partnership with the Government of the United Republic ofTanzania.
With the support of the funds from Touch Foundation; Bugando Medical Centre (BMC) will continue to transform the engineering department to become a centre of excellence.
BMC, in collaboration with Touch Foundation, would like to recruit an experienced Biomedical Engineer who will play a crucial role in transforming the department. The purpose of this position is to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the People strategy at BMC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The following is a list of the major responsibilities of the Head of Biomedical Section. The responsibilities of the Head of Biomedical Section are not limited to the following; –
- Making pre-acceptance checks of new equipment for verifying specification.
- Planning for the Biomedical Engineering Section.
- Being in charge of quality control in the unit.
- Ensuring observation of professional ethics in the unit.
- Advising management on all issues related to the functioning of machines, maintenance, service and repair of various equipment.
- Perform any required equipment maintenance/installation to support BMC Biomedical team To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by Head of Department.
- To deliver technical training to the Biomedical Engineering Team including but not limited to approach to maintenance, troubleshooting, advanced Biomedical (imaging, ultrasound, CT scans), and oxygen plants maintenance to properly satisfy current and future hospital needs.
- To provide mentorship to the technical team and support members during their daily maintenance work with guidance and technical advice.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Biomedical Engineering or Diploma in Biomedical engineering and additional certified Biomedical trainings).
- Registered with ERB (or international equivalent) as Biomedical Engineer/Technician.
- Minimum of 10 – 15years’experience in biomedical engineering within a reputable organization.
- Prior experience with international equipment/spares procurement, international suppliers, and vendors relationships.
Competencies and Skills:
- Advance knowledge and experience in PPM;
- Leadership and team building skills;
- Strong analytical skills, negotiation skills and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to effectively engage with stakeholders at all levels;
- Ability to take decisions and carry responsibilities;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently from close supervision;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili;
- Fully competent in the use of a computer including essential programme (MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and access to the internet;
- Experience in leading trainings or workshops preferred;
- Comfortable working under frequent, tight timelines and delivering high-quality work products on time;
- Commitment to health and social justice issues and understanding of global health and development issues;
- Experience in Oxygen plants maintenance;
- Experience in Operating Theatres and ICU equipment (anesthesia machines, suction machines, electrosurgical units);
- Experience in advanced biomedical equipment (imaging, radiology, CT scans).
MODE OF APPLICATION
Letters of application should be written in English preferably handwritten attaching a detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of academic/professional qualification, testimonials and names, Addresses, telephone numbers and email of three referees, should put in a sealed envelope addressed to the Director General so as to reach him before 24th September 2021.
Bugando Medical Centre,