Head of Finance
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization dedicated to fighting poverty and social injustice with a special emphasis on women and girls. CARE Tanzania is part of CARE International, whose vision is to seek a world of hope, tolerance, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security. CARE International is a global force and a partner of choice within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakable commitment to the dignity of people. CARE Tanzania and partners contribute to the empowerment of the most marginalized and vulnerable rural women and girls to exercise their rights.
CARE Tanzania seeks to recruit self-motivated, results driven, dynamic, suitably qualified, competent and experienced Tanzanian for the position of Head of Finance who will deliver finance excellence to drive the Country Office (CO) results
The Head of Finance (HoF) will be responsible for ensuring the Country Office (CO) maintains gains in finance operational efficiency, and uses financial data to manage finance performance for the CO. S/He provides oversight of the day-to-day financial operations at the Country Office level and is responsible for organizing and providing high level quality financial services to the Country Office programs, projects, staff and management. S/He works closely with the CARE Shared Services Center (SSC) in Manila, Regional Management Unit (RMU) and CO senior management to ensure appropriate financial support and resources are timely available. S/He ensures a partnership is nurtured between Finance, Program and other program support units in the Country Office
The Head of Finance ensures that program and finance teams are supported during proposal development to develop accurate budgets. S/he will responsible for timely providing periodic analytical financial reports to Budget Holders and Senior management on CO, Grants and Sub-Grants expenditures, inform and advice the management on the financial position, performance and financial risks as input for effective resource management decision making. Provides technical support and guidance to other CARE staff and partners on compliance and ensures understanding and adherence of terms and conditions of donor grants, statutory requirements and CARE International policies including sub grants management policy.
The Head of Finance will act as the focal person to coordinate and ensure workflow and other projects requirements in the financial and grants management system (PeopleSoft) are timely communicated and defined in the system, for smooth implementation and recording of financial data. Responsible for Treasury management including preparation of Cash forecasting, facilitating payments, deposits and acting as a link of communication with the designated banks to ensure efficiency and smooth flow of bank services. The position has a critical role of ensuring strictly adherence and timely submission of required accounting information (returns), taxes and other statutory payments and claims in accordance with the prescribed law and regulations in Tanzania. Will also be responsible for coordinating Internal and External audits organized for Donor fund, statutory audits or as may be required. S/he will manage a small team and will be responsible for the team’s performance management and capacity development. Furthermore, the position is responsible for continuously improving the internal ways of working.
The position will be based in Dar es Salaam and will report directly to the Southern Africa sub-regional Director of Finance.
- Budget development
- Financial record keeping and compliance
- Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Grants and Contracts Management
- Sub – Agreement Management and Auditing management
- Statutory compliance
- Staff and Performance and Development Management
Required one of the following three:
Professional qualification as a CPA and registration at the Tanzania NBAA in combination a Bachelors’ Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance Management from a recognized institution; or Professional qualification as a CPA and registration at the Tanzania NBAA in combination with a Masters’ degree in Accounting or Finance; or (iii) a professional qualification as a CPA and registration at the Tanzania NBAA in combination with an MBA with focus on Finance or Accounting from a recognized institution.
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in:
- Managing finance functions and supporting a senior management team of an International non-Governmental Organization with multiple offices in the country, funded by multiple donors with strict rules and regulations
- Grants and sub-grants management, budget preparation and budget management as well as in preparing financial reports of an International non-Governmental Organization
- Working with Enterprise Resource Planning systems (Procurement, Financial and HR modules) preferably PeopleSoft
- Managing at least three staff, supervising and building capacity of persons working at remote locations in the areas of: compliance to rules and regulations, financial record keeping and reporting, budgeting, program grants, sub-grant agreement, contract and budget management
- Working with different cultures and backgrounds in country and at remote locations in a client- service provider relationship
- Proficient in correct interpretation and application of the Tanzania tax laws and regulations, accounting, financial record keeping, financial reporting requirements and filing requirements
- Proficient in correct interpretation and application of various large donors’ regulations, compliance requirements and reporting standards
- Strong Leadership skills
- Solid analytical and issue resolution skills, with a great attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software with Advance knowledge on Excel application
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt to local practices and global standards
- Strong business partnering skills with ability to work in teams with exceptional people management skills, work at detailed level and understand the larger picture
- Fluent in writing and speaking English and Kiswahili
- Proactive with ability to offer structured guidance
- Facilitating Change
- Building Partnerships
- Managing Performance for Success
- Operational Decision-Making
- Planning & Organizing
How to apply
Only a letter of application and updated CV including names of at least 3 reputable referees from previous jobs (preferable line Managers) with reliable contacts should be sent by email to Human Resources Department [email protected] by CoB 28th February 2021 at 17:00 hours .
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children and vulnerable people from abuse.
The deadline for submitting the application is 28 February, 2021