Head of Investment Banking at Stanbic Bank Tanzania Limited May, 2019
Stanbic Bank Tanzania Limited is a full service commercial bank which specializes in providing facilities and services to public and private sector corporations, diplomatic missions and international organizations.
Stanbic Bank Tanzania is a member of the Standard Bank Group of South Africa and was established in May 1995 when the Standard Bank Group acquired the operations of Meridien Biao Bank Tanzania Limited
Head of Investment Banking
The position reports to the Head, Corporate & Investment Banking Tanzania and Head Investment Banking East Africa, and will involve close interaction with Client Coverage Head for Tanzania in addition to the country client relationship management teams. Transactional Products & Services and Global Markets.
Each of these duties are described in more detail below:
The roles and responsibilities of the incumbent will be as follows:
- Strategic Focus
- Has a good understanding of CIB Global’s overall strategy, and of how the strategy of IB Tanzania supports this global strategy.
- Drives the re-establishment of an Investment Banking Business in Tanzania.
- Develops and nurtures strategic relationships with clients in Tanzania to ensure that the strategy and business objectives of clients and Standard Bank Group are aligned.
- Drives and role models a superior culture that proactively provides solutions to client needs.
- Together with the East Africa IB Head defines and continually reviews the Tanzania coverage strategy and business objectives.
- Business Acumen and Market Understanding
- In depth understanding of financial services industry trends and the evolution of Corporate and Investment Banking practice both nationally and internationally.
- Aware of and has intimate understanding of the activities of traditional and non-traditional competitors and how this affects CIB East Africa’s client relationships.
- Develops an intimate understanding of clients’ industries and businesses, analysis of their modus operandi, management practices, judgment of various influential decision makers, and market conditions affecting the long-term viability of both individual clients and industry sectors.
- Utilizes management information systems and processes to pre-empt selling opportunities and proactively identify opportunities and threats to both clients and the Bank.
- Effectively uses client, industry and market knowledge to continually provide information, thereby ensuring that the Bank’s products and services continually meet the client needs and stay abreast with world best practice.
- Has a good understanding of the economies of Tanzania and the wider East African region, the strategic direction the countries in the region are taking and the impact of such developments on clients and industries.
- Has a good understanding of both the similarities and the differences in the East African countries.
- Has a good understanding of key drivers in changes in Foreign Direct Investment (sources of, and key sectors).
- Client Profitability and Risk Management
- Monitors markets and pre-empts risk for both the Client and the Bank.
- Monitors progress and implementation of client penetration strategies.
- Ensures that Product and Country partners understand the overall client coverage strategy and, in particular, that the IB Franchise names are appropriately covered by the relevant IB Champion envisioned with the aim of originating and executing transactions.
- Delivers- budgeted IB number on an annual basis together with product.
- Relationship Building
- Establishes credibility and overall profitability for the Bank and clients by the skilful application of specialist knowledge to deal with diverse client environments and provide qualified leads to relevant areas within the Bank e.g. Global Markets, Investment Banking Execution teams.
Appropriately balances technical input and marketing skill to address client environment and needs.
Introduces specialist skills (e.g. Transactional/Electronic Banking Manager. Global Markets) on specific products and product mix at the appropriate time and level, in order to create solutions, which effectively satisfies Client needs.
Builds relationships across all hierarchical levels within and outside the Bank in order to develop a credible and relevant network, to ensure leading edge financial and market information.
Develops good personal relationships with the Heads of the interrelated Business Units within the region and the Bank to ensure close cooperation between the Units.
Develops and maintains relationships with clients at Chairman. CEO and CFO level.
Develops and maintains effective working relationships with key regulators such as the CMSA and the DSE.
Understands the implications of non/substandard delivery Ensures that client confidence is supported by solid delivery of expected benefits such as cost efficient finance and reliability of required service standards.
Maintains client confidence through solid delivery of expected benefits, such as cost efficient finance, improved efficiency in financial administration, and consistent/superior standards of service.
Works to ensure delivery from varying Standard Bank Group units eg Regional Investment Banking Execution teams. Standard Bank Africa sector coverage teams and the TPS and Global Markets teams, [primary interface with Investment Banking, Global Structuring Group and Global Markets.
KEY SKILLS. KNOWLEDGE. EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL COMPETENCIES SKILL
Effective Team Player
Able to inspire team members – Empathetic about the needs of team members
Ensures that the business objectives of the team are achieved Ability to play a facilitation role with their teams
Open and frank communicator Fluent in verbal and written communication in English Able to analyze and communicate research findings/management information data to others Comfortable with conducting presentations/negotiating business cases in group forums
Makes time to listen to others’ with interest Attuned to all possible sources of useful information Encourages and seeks to understand other viewpoints and perspectives Receptive to constructive critique, feedback and ideas
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES Intellect
- Strategic and lateral thinker.
- Thorough understanding of strategic business plans and performance measurement.
- Able to apply academic knowledge to practical solutions.
- Able to grasp new concepts/ideas quickly.
- Forward planner
- Socially confident (at ease meeting and interacting with other people)
- Achievement/results orientated.
- Adaptable to change
- Successfully completed transactions.
Key Performance Measures
- Transactions originated and executed.
- Customer Satisfaction re:service quality/turnaround times.
- Meeting Investment Banking budgets.
What Success will look like
- Market Leadership in chosen Investment Banking product areas and markets.
- Co-ordinated approach to Regional and Pan African clients.
- Excellent understanding within Investment Banking teams of the range of products and services available within Standard Bank Group.
- Cross fertilization and implementation of ideas, structures and solutions across Africa.
- Vibrant deal pipelines.