APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF HEAD OF POLICY AND ENABLING ENVIRONMENT
The Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor of Tanzania (SAGCOT) is soliciting for the position of Head of Policy and Enabling Environment. The key job purpose for this position includes to assist the Chief Executive Officer in the implementation of Workstream 2 (Enabling Environment and Policy Analysis) and the broader engagement of the Government of United Republic of Tanzania and it’s Development Partners for priority public investments in the clusters (Workstream 1). To manage senior relationships with advocacy bodies and non-state actors and develop strategic alliances to address enabling environment bottlenecks and to lead communication and awareness raising on policy issues.
|Job Title||Head of Policy and Enabling Environment|
|Place of Work||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.|
|Reports to||Chief Executive Officer (CEO)|
|The team reporting to this Job Title||Policy Manager (PM)|
The SAGCOT Partnership
The Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor of Tanzania (“SAGCOT”) has been established as a public private partnership with three overarching objectives: 1) Enhance Tanzania’s food security and accelerate agricultural transformation and green growth, 2) Safeguard that this happens in a sustainable and responsible manner, 3) Improve livelihoods for smallholder farmers and their communities. The mandate of the partnership is to achieve this by catalyzing responsible private sector led agriculture development. SAGCOT partners envision that USD $2.1 billion of private investment can be mobilized over a twenty-year period, alongside public sector grants and loans of USD$1.3 billion. The impact will be a tripling of the area’s agricultural output and income improvement for millions of Tanzanians.
Partners in the partnership include The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, global business, the Tanzanian private sector, farmers, foundations and donor institutions. Each SAGCOT “partner” commits to a number of principles of green and inclusive growth and looks forward to contributing to the objectives of SAGCOT within their respective mandate.
The SAGCOT Centre Ltd (The Centre) was established in May 2011 to act as an institutionally neutral coordinating body and secretariat to the SAGCOT Partnership. The Centre’s mission is to play the unique role of an honest, non- partisan partnership broker within the SAGCOT Partnership. It’s role is to facilitate partners to deliver on inclusive, sustainable and commercial agricultural value chains in the Southern corridor. The Centre is also the information & communication hub of the Partnership and handles all administrative matters. In addition, the Centre will monitor successes and challenges of agriculture clusters and partnership development and feed best practices and lessons back through the Partnership.
The key job purpose of Head of Policy includes to assist the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in the implementation of Workstream 2 (Enabling Environment and Policy Analysis) and the broader engagement of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, Development Partners for priority public investments in the clusters (Workstream 1). To manage senior relationships with advocacy bodies and non-state actors and develop strategic alliances to address enabling environment bottlenecks and to lead communication and awareness raising on policy issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the CEO in all activities related to engaging the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania towards priority public investments in the clusters/Southern corridor and policy advocacy (Workstreams 1 and 2).
- To work in collaboration with the Head of Cluster and Partnership to ensure Policy Department is always current on Partner challenges and
- To map all current and planned activities of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and Development Partners in the clusters/Southern corridor and provide inputs to cluster development planning and
- To track investment and reform commitments by the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and Development Partners and lead systematic follow up of implementation through proactive participation at appropriate working groups and the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania/ Development Partners
- To identify and promote priority public investment and policy reforms to be implemented by the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and Development
- To identify strategic policy advocacy partners to liaise with, with the view of developing policy analyses relevant to priority policy issues and to prepare advocacy proposals to address identified
- To identify and build strategic relationships with policy reform champions (individuals) in a variety of institutions and develop strategies for capacity
- To lead communication and awareness raising campaigns with the Tanzanian government, policy advocacy bodies on SAGCOT (policy) issues and
- To Support media engagement on agriculture related policy
- To map enabling environment related bottlenecks of SAGCOT Partners and follow up with relevant institutions.
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
Knowledge for this job
- Extensive knowledge of policy development environment in Tanzania, Government institutions, donor funded projects context including having previously led a policy team or managed a policy
- Good understanding of the key public policy including current development in government experts on current approaches to policy and regulation
- Ability to manage a team and to coordinate effectively cross-cutting policy works;
- A strong commitment to evidence-based policy-making.
Minimum Academic Qualification
Master degree in any of the following fields: Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Agriculture (general), Public Affairs, Public Administration, Agricultural Engineering, Business Administration or Investment Banking, Project Management.
Experience, Personal Attributes, and Essential Competencies
- Possession of at least ten (10) years’ work experience in any of the above fields and knowledge and familiarity of issues pertaining to agricultural
- Possession of at least 10 years’ experience in a senior managerial
- High level of understanding of Investment Facilitation, Agribusiness, and Advisory Services to Ministries, Departments and
- Past experience in working with or within the Government or its affiliated institutions t is
- Strong relationship, and networking within the Government of Tanzania, Development Partners and other advocacy
- Correct interpretation and application of the SAGCOT Centre’s mandate and strategic
- Problem solving
- Ability to work independently and with minimum
- Policy development and
- Project management
- Demonstrate previous experience and the ability to deal with multiple partners/stakeholders.
- Articulation of issues and ability to grasp issues
- Customer service
- Demonstrate sound leadership skills and team
- Ability to prioritize competing demands.
- Excellent communication skills verbal and oral in English and
- Experience of managing staff under his/her department;
- Ability to operate at a senior level including close working with the Chief Executive, Directors and Funders;
- Experience of overseeing projects and ensuring they deliver on time and to budget;
- Ability to develop systems and procedures;
- Ability to chair and lead meetings including with high level delegates;
- Ability to delegate and
Management of Staff
- Manage, recruit, train, motivate, develop and line-manage staff in accordance with SAGCOT’s policy and procedures;
- Effectively manage the team’s performance, setting and monitoring standards and develop a culture that role models the values of SAGCOT and is results orientated;
- Ensure continuous professional development of the skills and competencies of the team;
- Contribute to operational management and performance of SAGCOT as a member of the senior management team;
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the
The due date for applications is 11:00 am on Friday October 30, 2020
Sealed applications written “Application for the Position of Head of Policy and Enabling Environment” should be mailed or hand delivered to the following address:
Chief Executive Officer,
SAGCOT Centre Limited
P.O. Box 80945,
5th Floor, Ikon Building, Masaki,
DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA