Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
lntraHealth International is a US-based international NGO with offices in over 30 African countries, including Tanzania. IntraHealth is seeking a Health Policy Advisor for an upcoming five-year USAID contract: Comprehensive Client-Centered Health Program – HIV and Tuberculosis Activity (C3HP HIV/TB). The overall goal of the project is to improve the household nutrition and health outcomes of Tanzanians with the specific objective of increasing use of quality HIV/TB services, particularly by youth and women.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Party, the Health Policy advisor will support the development, implementation, and monitoring of a work plan that will result in an enhanced enabling environment for quality HIV/TB service provision. The Health Policy Advisor will be responsible for providing technical guidance to improve the availability of quality strategies, policies, and guidelines to support health service delivery; and increase engagement and use of systemwide reforms and governance structures that impact service provision. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, with travel to program sites in the field.
This position is contingent upon award and approval by USAID. Qualified Tanzanian nationals are encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical leadership on the development and implementation of program strategies and activities that will improve the enabling environment for quality, integrated HIV/TB and family planning services and meet all targets and deliverables as per contractual obligations;
- Work with a variety of government and technical stakeholders to develop and implement participatory processes to update guidelines, SOPs and policy documents related to integrated HIV/TB/FP services to reflect current scientific evidence available; and to operationalize updated guidelines, SOPs and other policies documents;
- Provide leadership and guidance on improving data collection tools for integrated TB/HIV health services and quality assurance tools for integrated services;
- Provide leadership and guidance on increased engagement and use of system-wide reforms and governance structures that impact service provision, including but not limited to multi-sectoral AIDS and committees and councils with community-led monitoring systems;
- Ensure project Collaboration, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) principles are woven throughout the technical component of the project allowing the project to pivot quickly based on performance indicators;
- Provide health policy-related content for high-quality reports in line with USAID and IntraHealth requirements (quarterly and annual progress reports, quarterly financial reports etc.);
- Participate in national and district-level health policy technical working groups and other relevant forums.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Health Management and Systems, Public Health, Policy and Planning, or Leadership and Management;
- At least 6 years of relevant experience, preferably experience working with the Government of Tanzania and international donor-funded projects;
- Familiarity with the Government of Tanzania’s health systems and policy environment.
- Advocacy experience and skills to articulate the need for evidence-based policies;
- Proven ability to assess and manage complex activities simultaneously in a time-sensitive environment meeting competing deadlines;
- Ability to prioritize and strategically manage multiple tasks;
- Ability to work as an effective team member in a complex and fast paced environment;
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with diverse people, clients and consultants;
- Strong verbal and written English language skills with experience in report writing and presentations to large and diverse stakeholders;
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, Power Point. Experience with social media as a tool for advocacy and community building is desirable.
- Experience working with PEPFAR projects and supporting policymaking related to HIV/TB and other health services.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.