Temporary Job Opening (Duration 3 months)
Human Resources Assistant, G-5
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 11 September 2020 DATE OF ISSUANCE : 04 September 2020
OFFICE : Registry/ Human Resources Section
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2020/TJO/IRMCT/REG/HRS/107-GS
Organizational setting and Reporting:
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
This position is located in the Human Resources Section under the supervision of the Associate Human Resources Officer.
The Human Resources Assistant works as a generalist responding to all local human resources issues. The Human Resources Assistant responds directly to questions and queries posed by Arusha based staff.
S/he will monitor the contractual status of staff; regularly review and maintain the information in the Electronic Resources Management system “Umoja”, to identify cases which need attention and follow up on actions related to the administration of entitlements, ensuring consistency in the application of the Staff Rules and Regulations; review and process requests for entitlements and claims; ensure that relevant documentary proof is provided and initiate action towards substantive offices (e.g., Finance, Travel etc.); prepare letters of appointment, ensure that all conditions and related entitlements of appointees such as rental subsidy, education grant, etc. are up to date and bring special cases to the attention of the supervisor; induct new staff members, review and verify all documentary proof to establish the contractual status and related entitlements; advise staff regarding their entitlements and conditions of service, administrative procedures, and processes as well as the staff members’ responsibilities; ensure proper registration of staff in the Pension Fund and in the health and life insurance plans in accordance with the relevant administrative instructions and procedures; initiate check-out and separation-related procedures for separating staff members.
Process applications for vacancies; maintain vacancy announcement files and track status of vacancy announcements; assist in the evaluation and screening of applications of candidates; arrange for and participate in interviews; provide advice and answer general queries on recruitment procedures; provide general office support services; draft and/or process a variety of correspondence and other communications; schedule appointments/meetings, monitor deadlines; maintain automated database containing HR related statistics and prepare periodic reports.
- Professionalism – Full understanding of the functions and organization of the IRMCT and the Human Resources Section. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team
- Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Demonstrated ability to use computer technology.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years of related administrative experience, preferably in the Human Resources field. Knowledge of UN Staff Rules and Regulations and Umoja is an asset.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
NOTE FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES:
- Staff at the G-4 and G-5 level are eligible to
- Interested staff members must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable via personal inspira accounts (in PDF format) or the IRMCT website. Please submit all documents including the PHP, a cover letter, and the last two e- PAS’s to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a candidate for the position. Please note that only short listed candidate(s) will be informed of the
- Applicants may have to sit the United Nations Global General Services Test (GGST) as per information circular ICTY/IC/2004/49 of 2 September
NOTE FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES:
- External applicants must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable from the IRMCT website (www.irmct.org) and forward electronically along with a cover letter to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject
Please note, CVs cannot be accepted.
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a candidate for the position. Please note that only short listed candidate(s) will be informed of the outcome.
- Applicants may have to sit the United Nations Global General Services Test (GGST) as per information circular ICTY/IC/2004/49 of 2 September 2004. Candidates who have passed the GGST or ASAT must provide evidence when submitting their
- The appointment of the successful candidate will be on a local
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds. Appointment against this post is on a local basis.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE AT MIDNIGHT (THE HAGUE TIME) ON THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ONLY THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE OUTCOME.