Interns – Field Beans Breeding Assistants at Alliance of Bioversity
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. The Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation. (https://alliancebioversityciat.org/)
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR (www.cgiar.org) a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
We are recruiting internship students for various positions as per below details:
Interns – Field Beans Breeding Assistants (two (2) positions)
About the position
Field Breeding Assistants will be supporting improvement of existing plant varieties or support to create new ones to improve appearance, resistance to disease, yield, and other characteristics. The internship students may work in an academic or research setting.
- Support setting research aims and objectives.
- Support production of project plans and budgets.
- Support researching new methods of plant breeding.
- Support laboratory, screen house, and field trials activities.
- Support analyzing and interpreting data.
- Support in identifying the best varieties/species.
- Support in electing parent plants for crossbreeding.
- Support keeping records of research and findings.
- Support in presenting scientific findings and other work.
- Participate in making presentations.
- Support writing technical publications and reports.
- Coordinating and liaising with other plant breeders.
General Qualifications and requirements:
- At least master’s degree in relevant field of study or completing master’s degree in relevant – field of study for each of the above positions.
- A successful internship student must be able to correctly operate and maintain specialized equipment such as thermal cyclers, spectrophotometers, water purification systems, and electrophoresis equipment.
- The internship student should be able keep detailed computer and laboratory records and generate reports.
Terms of Recruitment
This is a nationally recruited internship position based in Arusha, Tanzania. The internship contract will be for 3-monthperiod. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive stipend; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender.
Internship Duration: Three months (initial with possibility to extend further). Desired start date: As soon as possible.
Alliance- Bioversity & CIAT is an equal opportunity employer. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.