Internship at SNV Netherlands Development Organisation, March 2019
Organization: SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
City: Arusha, Tanzania
Office: SNV Netherlands Development Organisation in Arusha
INTERNSHIP, Arusha, Tanzania
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago. SNV has built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. SNV works with local based development partners, other civil society organizations, government institutions and businesses to develop the capacities of local communities. Through its works, SNV links local communities to basic service providers to increase their income and to empower local communities to fight against poverty and take ownership of their own development
In 2014, SNV began active implementation of a project in Results Based Financing (RBF) for Pico-Solar PV lighting applications in the Lake Zone. The project initially concentrated on the application of a temporary financial product in mainstream banking as an RBF Fund of €
- 0 Million that serves to assist the Private Sector in developing the market for Pico-Solar products in isolated rural areas. In 2016 the RBF Fund grew to a total value of €
- 2 Million with expanded outreach to markets in the Lake and Central Zone Regions. As of close 2018, the RBF Fund has transacted €
- 89 Million to the private sector supporting verified delivery of nearly 80,000 solar products to rural Lake and Central Zone consumers.
For the period of 2019-2020, the RBF Fund will re-open with €1.5 million EUR in RBF incentives available to the private sector. This second stage of the RBF Fund for 2019-20 (RBF Stage 2) will be based on the foundational principles and structures as successfully developed and adapted during RBF program operations in 2014-18 with strategic redesign of key financing elements to ensure RBF incentives are more sensitively tuned to sustained market development in vulnerable and remote Lake and Central Zone markets.
The 2019-2020 RBF program will continue to be driven by three main sets of actors: (I) a Financial Institution hosting the RBF Fund and as represented by Tanzania Investment Development Bank (TIB), (ii) (Pico) Solar Import-Suppliers, and (iii) Rural Agents and Consumers. SNV’s main role in the program will be to broker relations amongst actors that ensure fair, transparent and verifiable financial transactions throughout management of the fund. The RBF initiative for solar in Tanzania is financed through the Energising Development (EnDev) initiative with the support of the UK’s Department for International Development (DfID).
Main activities of the of the RBF Rural Remote and Vulnerable Solar Market Programme will support the transparent and equitable operation of the RBF fund in a manner that ensures verifiable and quantifiable results in the private sector delivery of IFC-LA approved pico- solar products to the benefit of rural off grid households.
In this context, the delivery of RBF Remote Verification processes are intended to objectively ascertain distribution results and the validity of field verification activities as delivered by third parties via the conducting of telephone surveys.
The RBF Remote Verifier will regularly undertake the majority retailer and consumer phone survey verification processes in RBF Pico Solar PV program (as outlined above). The roles of the RBF Remote Verifier will be inclusive of, but not limited to, providing the following services upon the receipt of each claim submitted to the RBF Fund:
RBF Retailer Verification
Overview of initial RBF Claim details (Retailer sales summary) from SNV
Receiving of random sample of Retailers identified for physical verification and phone verification
Conduct phone verification of the identified Retailers as per the tool and standards outline by SNV
RBF Consumer Verification:
Overview of initial RBF Claim details (Retailer sales summary) from TIB-SNV
Receiving of random sample of end-users/consumers identified for physical verification and phone verification
Conduct phone verification of the identified consumers as per the tool and standards outline by SNV
RBF Claim Verification Report
Compile completed verification tools from both Retailer and consumer verifications as described above
Prepare a standard RBF Claim Verification summary report (of no more than 1-2 pages) indicating whether the claim is valid or invalid as per the thresholds as defined by TIB-SNV
Submit their RBF Claim Verification report to TIB-SNV
While the main duties of the successful intern will be in the delivery of the RBF Remote Verification processes, during times in which RBF claims are not received or in processing, the intern will contribute to other components of the RBF program as directed by the EnDev Project Manager/Advisors.
- The intern must be a Tanzanian national preferably having completed post-secondary education, Bachelor degree (equivalent) or higher, in any relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in field research, data collection, Administrative skills, and Geographic Information System (GIS) knowledge and project documentation are desired
- Candidates with some knowledge and/or experience combining renewable energy, private sector development and gender are preferred.
- Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach.
- Readiness to work and travel frequently in the field
- Excellent listening skills combined with strong oral and written communication skills (in English and Swahili).
- Self-starter, strong ability to work well alone and with others;
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail;
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the key qualifications are encouraged to send in their applications.Please send your application letter and CV to https://www.smartrecruiters.com/app/jobs/all/ before 31st March 2019