Senior Advisor – Health Workforce Strengthening, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Organization: IntraHealth International
- Country: Tanzania
- City: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Office: IntraHealth International Dar es Salaam
Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Senior Advisor for health workforce strengthening will report to the Sr. Director of Health Workforce and support the conceptualization and implementation of IntraHealth’s technical approach to improving the performance, productivity and sustainability of the health workforce in low- and- middle income countries. As an international-level expert, the position is responsible for mentoring, ensuring technical quality, developing and executing technical strategies for programmatic opportunities, demonstrating global leadership and engagement, and providing high level technical assistance to countries in a range of health workforce areas.
Technical Assistance (35%)
- Provide technical assistance to IntraHealth programs that need support with data use and HRH activities such as: HRH strategies and future procurements, WISN, establishing National Health Workforce Accounts (NHWA), and use of HRIS data to inform workforce planning.
- Contributes to ensuring IntraHealth technical quality of projects, reports, and communications, and supporting the elevation of project-based learning to organization-wide learning and knowledge management in collaboration with other IntraHealth departments.
- Supports technical reviews of program design, research protocols, and publications to ensure IntraHealth meets and exceeds global standards.
Capacity Building (20%)
- Supports capacity development of IntraHealth staff in the area of health workforce development in LMICs to solve country-specific, regional, and global health systems challenges, facilitating learning across countries and regions.
- Contributes to a virtual community of practice to build up a critical mass of staff who are knowledgeable of and able to apply systematic health workforce technical approaches to improve health systems and increase quality service delivery.
Proposals/Business Development (20%)
- Contributes to the design and writing of proposals and concept papers, providing context-specific, technically sound and innovative approaches on health workforce development, as part of the proposal development process.
- Maintains and cultivates network of representatives of current and potential new funding agencies for the organization.
Research & Publications (15%)
- Publish and present in external publications and in high visibility fora, and mentor other staff to submit peer-reviewed manuscripts.
- With monitoring, evaluation and research colleagues, support the organizational research agenda and work across countries and projects to implement the research agenda to generate knowledge and evidence about the value of investing in health workforce development, liaising with academic, private sector and research institutions as appropriate.
Representation & Stakeholder Relationships (10%)
- Represents the organization in a variety of venues (technical working groups, campaigns, etc.) as a thought leader in health workforce.
- Represents IntraHealth in the WHO’s Global Health Workforce Network WISN hub.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Health, or related field plus ten (10) years of direct global health experience; or Doctorate in Public Health, or related field plus six (6) years of direct global health experience.
- Demonstrated experience implementing health workforce activities in a variety of, low-and- middle income countries (LMICs).
- Demonstrated experience translating complex technical material related to digital health, health systems, and health data into digestible communications for lay audiences, including data visualization approaches.
- Ability to design and implement high-impact health workforce development interventions
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in health systems strengthening with a focus on health workforce
- Deep understanding of global health and development industry and large network within country governments, the World Health Organization and other multilateral organizations, private sector corporations, other global health and development organizations, and civil society groups.
- Experience in applying evidence-based, innovative, cost-effective solutions to health systems challenges, linking them to improved health services and health outcomes.
- Ability to offer high-quality technical assistance to IntraHealth’s country-level and regional programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including technical writing and editing.
- Ability to legally work, without sponsorship, in designated country office.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment.
- Ability to travel locally and internationally approximately 30%.
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day.
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about ‘Who We Are’ @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1