The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) is a member of Universal Postal Union on behalf of the United Republic of Tanzania. The UPU is based in BERNE, SWITZRELAND.
TCRA wishes to inform the general public that UPU invites applications from suitably qualified Tanzanians for the following posts available at the (UPU) Headquarters.
- Reference Number: 4750 (DRH.COOP.RH) 1110
- Post: IT Development Coordinator, grade P 5 (non-core)
- Postal Technology Centre Directorate
With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
The Postal sector has been faced with far-reaching changes over the past few years. It has become essential for Posts to apply the latest technology in order to respond effectively to changing customer needs. The Postal Technology Centre (PTC) of the UPU acts as a link between technology and the needs of the Postal industry by being the first- choice in providing IT solutions, applications and services that enable the delivery of domestic and international postal services.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Director of the PTC, the incumbent will:
– Oversee the development and technical maintenance of PTC software (IPS, IFS and International Bureau [IB] IT software families);
– Ensure the timely development and documentation of updates to existing software, and the design and development of new software according to the PTC’s published delivery cycles, in accordance with quality standards;
– Ensure the timely delivery of fixes when software malfunctions are detected;
– Ensure software quality through the testing of software developed by the PTC.
1. Lead, direct and guide the IT Development unit with regard to the following:
- Analyze technological trends, assess their usability for the PTC, and design, develop and formulate the PTC IT development strategy within the framework of the UPU’s operational software families (IPS, IFS and IB IT);
– Identify, design, develop and formulate the technical architecture for PTC software developments, both for external customers (postal operators) and internal IB customers, in collaboration with the Account Relations and Operations units and the other IB directorates.
– Plan, prepare and manage the budget, including the balance between expenditure and income from software development and annual licence fees;
– Lead and direct teams of IT specialists and test staff. Plan and allocate work assignments. Coach, mentor and evaluate staff, and participate in the recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programmes;
– Lead and direct teams of outsourced IT specialists. Participate in the selection of new outsourced IT specialists;
– Lead and manage the provision of consultancy services on technical matters, when required (internal within the PTC/IB or directly to PTC customers).
– Present IT-related matters at Telematics Cooperative user group meetings or other UPU forums, when required.
2. Supervision of technical projects
– Participate in the management of the PTC’s software product portfolio (in collaboration with the Account Relations and Product Management unit) and contribute to the implementation of new standards at organization level;
– Manage development plans for new software and change requests relating to existing software. Decide on any corrective actions to be taken;
– Lead and direct the technical design and development of software;
– Manage and ensure the accuracy of workload estimations, and ensure the timely delivery of software and operating procedures.
– Lead and direct the implementation of adequate security features in all PTC-developed solutions, so as to guarantee data integrity and confidentiality and to avoid any possible attack on the PTC’s software applications, according to defined security levels;
– Lead, direct and manage the protection against illegal copying of PTC software solutions;
– Research, select and suggest security architectures and measures for PTC software solutions.
4. Supervision of third-level support
– Lead, direct and manage third-level support to resolve PTC software-related problems/incidents in a timely manner and to a high standard, in accordance with PTC service-level specifications.
5. Technology lead
– Advise on technical orientations and complex programming tasks to ensure the harmonization of the development platform and development tools across the PTC’s products, with the aim of creating reusable components;
– Lead and direct the establishment of a future-oriented architecture for PTC software solutions.
6. Software testing
– Lead and oversee the functional testing of PTC software applications and infrastructure components, across the PTC units and back-office centre.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED
First-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) or advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, engineering, IT management or related fields
Experience in managing IT development projects (at least 12 years with a Bachelor’s degree or 10 years with a Master’s degree)
In-depth knowledge of IT development tools and distributed computing
Very good knowledge of cross-project management
Very good knowledge of the PTC software product portfolio and the software used at the IB
Good knowledge of IT security tools/standards/measures
Good knowledge of customer relationship management tools
Good knowledge of IT development process management and standards
ISO 27001 Introduction
Skills and abilities / competencies:
Ability to plan and organize
Global vision and ability to identify strategic technological issues
Good interpersonal skills and client orientation
Good negotiation skills
Proficiency in English is mandatory. French would be an additional asset.
Annual salary: 88,162 USD (net of tax).
The post Adjustment is 86.9 % of the above figure. This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to the currency exchange rate fluctuation or inflation.
This is a non-core post. This position will be in full compliance with the “Rules governing non-core staff”, which expressly exclude some international benefits (home leave, installation grant, education grant and eligibility to a continuing appointment)
The selected staff will participate in the UPU Provident Scheme and will be insured together with their recognized dependents against the risks of sickness and accidents.
This is a three years’ contract which can be renewed if the services continue to be required in the future, the funds are available and/or the staff member’s performance is satisfactory. However, this appointment does not automatically carry any expectancy of
extension or renewal or of conversion to any other type of appointment.
Applications will be considered for similar positions (for a period not exceeding one year).
Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from being excluded from the selection process.
Priority shall be given for an internal promotion.
The UPU is committed to securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for its staff members. In this regard, candidates under serious consideration for selection may be subject to satisfactory background checks aimed at validating the educational and professional background records as indicated by candidates in their respective application forms. At the discretion of the UPU, such background checks may also be extended to include criminal records, disciplinary measures, sexual exploitation and abuse, and professional license check validation.
- Applicants are requested to complete Official Application Form via the UPU’s e-Recruit system (erecruit.upu.int).
- All Applications will have to be submitted through TCRA for recommendations not later than 12th November 2020 by 4PM, after which they will be forwarded to UPU for further processes.
Details on duties, responsibilities and qualifications may be accessed on the UPU’s website: https://erecruit.upu.int/public/hrd-cl-vac-view.asp?jobinfo_uid_c=36867&vaclng=en
Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority,
20 Sam Nujoma Road,
P.0 Box 474,
14414, DAR ES SALAAM.