Overview of the Position
The Junior Agronomist and Extension Officer will be in charge of facilitating market actors to support adoption of Climate Smart Solutions to sunflower smallholder producers in the three regions of Songwe, Rukwa and Katavi. She/he will be responsible for facilitating sunflower production related interventions including adoption of Good agronomic Practices and Solutions. She/he will take the lead in ensuring public and private agriculture extension services are accessible by sunflower smallholder’s producers in the affordable packages. She/he will coordinate inputs supply chains and managing extension services delivery systems by working with the identified inputs market actors such as YARA, ByTrade and LSSC. She/he will broker relationships among various market actors including Inputs suppliers/agro dealers and help them to tap opportunities available for investing with SHFs in sunflower production.
• Working with Sunflower Producer Groups and AMCOS in the project areas to facilitate adoption of Climate Smart solutions for improved sunflower production and post-harvest management.
• Facilitating market actors to provide on farm demonstrations and promotion of Good Agronomic Practices (GAPs) tailored to improved sunflower production.
• Coordinating field activities that involve public and private extension officers that focus on improved sunflower production.
• Taking lead in documenting cases for changes occurring in the production level of sunflower value chain
• Developing inventory of all project supported sunflower producers in all project villages for the aim of tracking and documenting changes in their sunflower production activities.
• Facilitating access to sunflower markets and extension information for sunflower producers through farmer friendly ICT platforms.
• Mapping all sunflower fields allocated for sunflower production by the project target farmers.
• Coordinating sunflower related demonstrations, farmer field days, agri-technology demonstrations and seasonal opening session in wards, districts, regions and zones basing on the demand and feasibility.
• Reporting and documenting project implementation status on monthly and quarterly basis
• Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Extension and Agronomy.
• At least 3 years of work experience in agricultural production with at least 1 year in supporting farmers to increase crop productivity. Experience in sunflower production will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Agriculture sector, particularly participation of Smallholders farmers in the crops production and marketing.
• Experience working with diverse stakeholders including Government institutions and Regional and Local levels; private sector, Agri-inputs suppliers, research institutions and Producers groups /Market Associations.
• Practical knowledge on agronomy and agriculture extension
• Demonstrated experience on preparing documentation and reporting
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time national position with the successful candidate being contracted on a one-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
submit your Cover Letter, CV and Salary History on or before 18th Jnauary 2019. if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
TO APPLY CLICK HERE