Laboratory Program Officer (1 Position) at HJFMRI
Reports to: Laboratory Advisor -TPDF
Location: Dar es Salaam
This position aims to provide technical advice to the HJFMRI-supported TPDF HIV/AIDS Program and ensure quality laboratory services are strengthened and mainstreamed into a comprehensive HIV prevention, care, and treatment program. S/he is to demonstrate integrity and a strong work ethic in the performance of all duties with HJFMRI. The Laboratory program officer will be part of a team of experts whose focus will be to improve the quality of the Laboratory HIV services provided by TPDF supported sites. Responsibilities include but are not limited to providing technical support to laboratories in HJFMRI-supported facilities in the areas of clinical laboratory testing, quality management systems implementation, and MRI-on-site staff training and mentorship. S/he will be based in Dar es Salaam with frequent travel to the program-supported sites, providing supportive supervision and mentorship to site laboratory staff within the TPDF.
The Laboratory program officer reports to Laboratory Advisor-TPDF.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide mentorship and onsite training to staff in TPDF supported sites on the performance of clinicallaboratory tests, equipment use, and maintenance, and implementation of laboratory quality management procedures.
- Train and mentor staff in zonal and satellite facilities on quality lab management (QMS)and the establishment of internal and external quality controls
- Organize technical training programs where needed in conjunction with other program staff
- Respond to onsite problems including equipment failures, utility failures, testing errors, personnel problems, supply shortages, and government issues
- Technically advice the program as appropriate on; collection, transportation, labeling, testing, and storing patient specimens for studies
- Contribute actively to program and departmental meetings and training programs as necessary, within the locality national and international.
- Contribute to the goals and objectives of the HJFMRI (program review meeting, supportive supervision, data compilation), and partners’ activities.
- Write weekly/monthly reports regarding equipment and reagents status in the program.
- Ensure equipment is maintained on time and is under a maintenance contract.
- Organize proficiency testing for distribution to laboratories, checking results, and following up on any irregularities.
- Collect monthly quality indicator data from laboratories, follow up on any problem results.
- Determine reagent and equipment needs working in conjunction with HJFMRI Laboratory Advisor.
- Assist with the implementation of new instrumentation, new methodology, and training as needed
- Any other duty as assigned by supervisors
Knowledge and Qualifications
- A Diploma /Advanced Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Sciences. A degree in Medical Laboratory Technology/Sciences will be an added advantage.
- Registered by Health Laboratory Practitioners’ Council of Tanzania
- At least 3 years of experience working in a similar position or bench work. Experience of working in a military setting will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of laboratory technology and quality system management
- Good understanding of running laboratory services in low-resource settings
- Knowledge and practical experience of use of Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and Laboratory Quality Standards implementation
- Excellent skill in laboratory testing and analyses
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Computer Skills including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Access packages.
- Willingness to abide by all ethics and compliance policies of HJFMRI