Legal Counsel Job at African Underground Mining Services (AUMS)
African Underground Mining Services (AUMS) is an international leader in mechanised hard rock underground mining with operations throughout Africa (Ghana, Tanzania, Mali, Burkina Faso) Established in 2007, we have spent over 11 years building a strong reputation for being a safe and high performing underground mining services contractor. We are driven by the continued success at our operations and exceeding our client’s expectations – both in terms of safety and performance. AUMS is a joint venture of recently merged Australian Mining Contractors Barminco Ltd and Ausdrill Ltd making the business the second largest Mining Services provider in Australia.
The collective talent and expertise of our workforce is the key to our success, and we are looking for talented people to join our business. We seek to build teams who are loyal, committed to our company values and dedicated to helping our clients.
In return, we provide state of the art facilities, equipment, technology and opportunities to work on projects in Australia and Overseas. We look forward to receiving your application for the following position.
Geita Gold Mine, Geita
The successful candidate will be tasked to deal with legal and regulatory affairs of AUMS(T) Limited from its site as well as provision of general but timely, effective and professional legal advice in issues related to Labour and industrial relation issues, environmental, community relations, compliance matters, human rights issues, contract drafting and review as well as any matter affecting or which may potentially affect the business and which may require legal intervention or attention.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enter appearance in the prosecution or in defense of the Company and its resources in all judicial and quasi-judicial bodies including regulatory bodies for and on behalf of the Company
- Provide active, proactive and effective oversight of all litigation matters relating to the company including maintaining accurate case reports and records
- Formulating an effective strategy for the prevention, management and resolution of disputes.
- Advise and engage management at site in all decision making processes concerning litigation
- Draft necessary documents and correspondences
- Liaise with external counsel representing or handling matters for and on behalf of the Company.
Employment and Labour Relations
- In consultation with the Human Resources Department provide guidance, training or any related services as shall be directed by the line manager and other senior managers on labour compliance matters and advice department on general legal aspects of labour, industrial relations and other aspects of the business.
- Provide advice on relevant corporate, mining, environmental, labour standards, policies and procedures.
Regulatory and Compliance
- Attend regulatory and compliance aspects of AUMS’s operations before and when they occur or materialise.
- Monitor and record legal and legislative developments affecting or which may have implication on the Company’s operations.
- Provide oversight and support on matters related to permitting and licensing and ensuring timely availability submission of statutory reports to relevant regulatory bodies.
- Prepare, update and regularly advise and sensitise site Management compliance related matters.
- Draft or review Company policies, contracts or other documents and to ensure that rights, privileged , entitlements of the Company acquired or emanating from any law, contract or engagement with third parties are protected and enforced where necessary, where infringed
- Analyse and identify risks potential presenting legal risks or liability relating and emanating from environmental management and which may negatively impact or expose the company into liability.
- Participate in meeting with stakeholders such as OSHA, MEM, Local Government where requested to do so by Management.
- Assist the Operations Manager on all legal matters as may be required or requested from time to time.
- Assist in all Company secretarial matters.
- Participate in advancement, perseveration and upholding interest of the Company while in contact any third party while representing the Company as may instructed by the Management.
- Handle ad-hoc assignments related to company business as shall be required by any Senior Management of the Company on site.
- A University graduate with a degree in Laws. Masters’ degree may constitute an added advantage.
- A registered Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and subordinate courts thereto and licensed to practice to practice law in Tanzania.
- Knowledge in legal practice in Tanzania, procedures and principles pertaining to such practice.
Litigation, policy making, knowledge of administrative law, corporate, environmental and mining laws, policies and regulations.
Experience in the mining or extractive industry is an added advantage.
At least 7 years of experience practicing corporate, mining, natural resources law or general aspects of law.
Proven experience in criminal prosecution or defense and civil litigation,
Strong interpersonal skills, customer oriented mind-set, excellent problems solving capacity as well as analytical and organizational skills.
Skilled in the analysis and interpretation of legal documents, instruments and policies which have or can potentially impact the business of the Company.
Ability to work independently, under minimum supervision, under pressure and deliver by meeting deadlines,
Good planning and organizing skills
Strong analytical and leadership skill
Strong command of both spoken and written English and Swahili
Valid Tanzanian Driver’s Licence
If you have the necessary skills, drive and experience to be an asset to AUMS Operations Team, we welcome your interest and encourage you to apply.
Only applications with a current Resume attached will be considered for employment.
Please send your CV along with a detailed covering letter via email email@example.com
Application letters should reach the above on or before 17th May 2019,18hr00.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! AUMS(T)Limited does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately by calling +255 682 660 123 or+255 682 660 256 or+255 682 660 893.