Logistics Associate(Dar Port warehouse) Job vacancy at The United Nations World Food Programme
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The position is located at Dar es alaam Port (Field Office). The Job holder will report to a Logistics Officer (Dar Port)
At this level the job holder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to manage Dar port warehouse activities and respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holder have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of standard operating procedures and processes in order to continually improve the level of service. He/she is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of warehouse staff. The incumbent’s responsibility starts when the cargo arrives in the warehouse and ends after it leaves the warehouse in good condition.
To manage a range of Dar port warehouse activities including safeguarding of commodities and supplies and ensuring well-organized warehousing and storage service in compliance as well as dispatch of cargo to the intended destinations as per WFP warehouse guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the effective planning and management of port warehouse operations, to ensure safe and efficient warehousing and storage of all commodities and supplies.
- Contribute to review of WFP corporate warehouse standards and procedures, to support efficiency and changing business needs.
- Coordinate the receipt/dispatch of commodities, to ensure accurate recording, accounting and reporting is available at all times to support decision-making.
- Responsible for the accuracy of warehouse transaction records including identification of discrepancies, to ensure immediate and accurate reporting on commodity movements in line with the corporate requirements.
- Responsible for inventory management (e.g. physical stock verification, reporting, etc.), to ensure any existing and developing issues with regards to proper stocks management are timely addressed and WFP standard procedures for commodity handling and storage are strictly followed.
- Supervise preparation and/or prepare regular and ad hoc reports and computer-based statistics on warehouse operations, to support informed planning and decision-making.
- Oversee safeguarding of commodities through providing guidance on and taking initiative towards implementation of preventive measures, to ensure that commodities are preserved in good condition and that quality control actions are initiated as appropriate following WFP established procedures.
- Coordinate with service providers and transporters to ensure a coordinated operation to avaoid congestion or delays at the port.
- Review on periodic basis warehouse space availability,plan abd implement new design layoutts to support business needs and ensure cost-effeciency.
- Work in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, in order to deliver aligned and coherent warehouse services.
- Supervise warehouse staff, to ensure high performance standard
- Manage warehouse equipment including maintanance planning and implementation.
The application deadline is 15th Apri 2020.