The RM&E Manager role manages and oversees all aspects of the Tanzania Country office’s RM&E and coordinates with the Global RM&E team on a full range of RM&E activities. This position reports to the Country Director and is a part of the Country Management Team. The position is based in Dar es Salaam and requires frequent travel to field and occasional travel regionally and globally.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Design and Implementation of RM&E Activities (60%)
- Oversee the implementation of Room to Read’s reading and life skills evaluation data collection, ensuring data collection is conducted in accordance with Room to Read’s protocols and best practices in the field.
- Provide technical assistance on the development and adaptation of instruments and assessments to be used in support of RM&E projects in Tanzania.
- Develop research proposals and designs specific to Room to Read Tanzania’s portfolio and context.
- Lead the analysis and reporting of Project Implementation Monitoring data, collaborating with Country Office leadership and Program Teams to reflect on findings and incorporate lessons learned into design and implementation.
- Conduct regular site visits to active program sites to ensure compliance with implementation monitoring and other data collection activities, following up with Operations and Program colleagues to remediate issues.
- Ensure high quality collection and reporting of global indicator data and coordinate global indicator reflection with Country Office and Global Office colleagues.
- Provide input into donor reporting with a focus on learning and evaluation results.
- Lead evaluation result review process with Program colleagues to identify improvements in program design and implementation.
- Collaborate with Global RM&E team members (especially the GO RM&E Manager for Africa based in Nairobi) to enhance global RM&E products and guidance.
Team Leadership and Capacity Building (25%)
- Ensure the Tanzania Country Office has the staff and technical capacity to implement required activities.
- Build the capacity of RM&E staff to implement high quality data collection and relevant analysis of implementation monitoring data.
- As needed, develop Terms of Reference for consultants, data collection firms or individual data collectors and manage execution of activities.
- In collaboration with team members, develop goals and professional development plans to advance organizational and individual goals.
- Facilitate the dissemination of research/evaluation reports to Room to Reads Country Office staff and local stakeholders, including government officials, academia and other local partners.
- Stay informed about research, evaluation and measurement methods in our program areas and translate that knowledge into improved practices for the TZCO RM&E team.
- Identify partnership opportunities in Tanzania aligned with Room to Read’s Strategic Plan to increase thought-leadership of Room to Read.
- Represent Room to Read and our RM&E work and results with a variety of stakeholders (e.g., government, funders, partners) in Tanzania.
- Advanced degree in social sciences or relevant field. Ideally with a focus on research, economics or statistics.
- At least 10 years of experience working in research and evaluation within international development, ideally focused on education programs.
- Strong technical competence in research, monitoring and evaluation methods.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, with proven ability to work with data software packages such as Stata/ SPSS/ SAS. Qualitative analysis skills a plus.
- Strong planning, team leadership and capacity building skills.
- Prior experience implementing and overseeing large scale data collection and monitoring processes.
- Prior experience working with schools, teacher, administrators, and government officials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong initiative, good leadership skills and team player
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Ability to travel.
Location: Dar es Salaam
Tanzania – Main – Dar Es Salaam
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled