Market and Gender Value Chain Assessment
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Contract type: Consultant Agreement
Contract length: 30 Days
Full Time: 35 hours per week
Application Closing Date: 5 Feb 2020
Interview date: TBBC
Start date: Feb 2020
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
The consultant will be expected to work closely with staff from VSO Tanzania and to some extent from VSO Uganda. The initial stage of the work can be undertaken remotely, if required, with the remainder of the time being spent in country in Tanzania, working with staff and volunteers there. The initial outputs of the work will be piloted in a real project situation, and the consultant will be expected to provide mentoring and guidance during at least the start-up of the piloting. Based on lessons learned from this experience some modification of the training materials will be required.
The aim is to develop a highly participatory package of materials, and to work closely with VSO Tanzania staff in the process, so that capacity is developed to continue to implement this training package, as well as to advise other country offices on its usage.
Skills, qualifications and experience
The consultant will be required to have the following skills and experience:
• Experience in the implementation of market and value chain assessment approaches, and working with women and youth especially, though also working with people with disabilities will be an advantage.
• Experience in training and capacity building and be good at working with mixed groups or people, in terms of their range of skills and experience.
• Experience also with the use of PRA tools and approaches.
• Excellent writing, documentation and presentational skills.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.