Market Shaping Analyst
Results for Development (R4D) is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Market Shaping Analyst to provide technical support to the Market Shaping Practice’s Tanzania-based team. The Market Shaping practice (MSP) is dedicated to transforming access to, and improving appropriate use of, essential and life-saving products in a holistic and sustainable manner. We develop, iterate on and support catalytic implementation of long-lasting solutions at the global and country levels to address challenges identified by country partners and backed by rigorous analyses. We’ve applied our expertise to achieve more than a billion dollars in savings in countries and supported improved access to high-quality products in health (spanning the HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, maternal, newborn and child health markets) as well as in nutrition and education.
MSP projects include:
Transforming markets for maternal, newborn, and child health medicines and devices
Increasing access to childhood pneumonia treatments through iterative market shaping approaches in close collaboration with government partners and other key market actors.
Identifying underlying market challenges and opportunities to address severe acute malnutrition
Title: Market Shaping Analyst
Reports to: Senior Market Shaping Specialist
Term: 2 years, renewable
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
As a Market Shaping Analyst on this high-impact team, you will:
- Conduct in-depth qualitative and quantitative research and analyses, including critical review of literature and interviews with experts, to identify bottlenecks in public and private essential commodity markets primarily in Tanzania
- Help to develop analytic and written presentations and deliverables to communicate key findings and recommendations from analyses to internal and external audiences
- Engage extensively and effectively with diverse stakeholders, including government agencies, procurers, policymakers, healthcare providers, implementing partners and private sector entities
- Execute on project work plans and activities in a high-quality and timely manner
- Help identify creative ways to expand current work in Tanzania and support the development of relevant products, in close coordination with TZ lead
- Assist in the development of knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination and uptake of R4D’s work in Tanzania
You’re a great fit if you are:
- Genuinely passionate about markets-based approaches to drive sustainable impact
- A strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, able to vary one’s style based on the audience and distill complex concepts into clear messaging,
- Energized by working on complex projects in global contexts, particularly in low- and middle-income countries
- Highly analytical, and a structured and creative problem solver
- Enthusiastic about working within a culturally diverse team
- Collaborative, approachable, and invested in enabling a positive working environment
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally, per project need
Your experience should include:
- Bachelor’s degree in global health, pharmaceutical sciences, economics, international development, or other related field of study
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in global health related to healthcare markets or health systems (OR, an MA in related field of study plus 1 year of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated track record of analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and developing analytical products
- Ability to think and solve problems in a structured and logical manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to develop short presentations and written reports
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver high-quality results within fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Significant experience in Tanzania or East Africa strongly preferred, including experience working in the Tanzanian public health sector such as the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Medical Stores Department (MSD), and/or Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA)
- Previous experience monitoring supply of commodities in the public-sector healthcare system, and/or experience in national quantification activities is preferred
- Private sector supply chain management / supply chain optimization experience preferred
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Native level fluency in Kiswahili
Founded in 2008, R4D has grown rapidly during its first decade, with a diverse set of programs in global health, education, and nutrition and funders that include bilateral donors, multi-lateral development institutions, and private foundations. The current annual budget is $30M and the organization has offices in Washington, DC in the United States (140 staff), Ethiopia, Tanzania and the UK. Outside of the U.S., we employ 21 staff in ten countries.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
About the Market Shaping Practice:
How do we increase access to a cheap drug that could save millions of children’s lives yet remains widely unavailable in certain markets? This is among the unique and powerful questions R4D’s Market Shaping practice answers on a daily basis. Using practical and business-driven approaches — from increasing market transparency to increase manufacturers’ engagement, to improving demand forecasting to prevent stockouts, to increasing competition to lower prices, to developing purchasing and value chain strategies, and to crafting cost-effectiveness and financing gap analyses — our work ensures that millions of lives are saved and improved in a sustainable manner through more efficient markets essential health, nutrition and education products.
If our work ignites your imagination, we’d love to tell you more and explore how we can work together!