Hutchison Port Tanzania , located at Dar es Salaam, is the country’s largest container terminal.The Port of Dar es Salaam handles more than 75 percent of Tanzania’s trade and is a vital gateway not just to Tanzania, but also to eastern, central and Southern Africa. The port is strengthening its role as the county’s maritime gateway, investing in modern IT systems and mobile equipment while constantly improving its productivity levels, efficiency and customer service.
Hutchison Port Tanzania is a member of Hutchison Ports, the port and related services division of CK Hutchison Holdings Limited (CK Hutchison). Hutchison Ports is the world’s leading port investor, developer and operator with a network of port operations in 52 ports spanning 26 countries throughout Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, the Americas and Australasia. Over the years, Hutchison Port has expanded into other logistics and transportation-related businesses, including cruise ship terminals, airport operations, distribution centres, rail services and ship repair facilities.
We are seeking applicant from suitably qualified, motivated individuals to fill position of
Mechanical Technician in our Engineering Department.
Overall Purpose of Job
The successful applicant will be responsible to carry out mechanical maintenance, fault finding and major & minor repairs on port equipment and heavy diesel engine equipments.
To take part in carrying out equipment preventive maintenance and trouble shooting at the same time directing artisans. Attend to the immediate repair and reconditioning of machine elements, pneumatic, hydraulic and brake systems, reads and interprets hydraulic and pneumatic diagrams for accurate trouble shooting, to participate in the pre-planning of preventive maintenance programme, carries out all work in a prompt, thorough and professional manner paying particular attention to safety and quality of workmanship. Performs repair of parts and components of mobile equipments, workshop equipments, power station generator engines and gantry cranes. Participates in carrying out engine overhauls in a professional manner. Ensures accident prevention and control by establishing and maintaining a safety attitude and discipline among his work group while working. Checks/Inspects all mechanical safety devices to ensure proper functioning condition. Plans all work thoroughly and in a professional manner before commencing. Carries out all work in a prompt, thorough and professional manner paying particular attention to safety and quality of workmanship.
Qualification and skills level
This occupation has a level of education and skills to enable the candidate to perform assigned tasks in accordance with TICTS working standards. The following are the minimum requirements.
Applicants should possess.
- Diploma or Degree in Mechanical/ Electromechanical/ Automobile Engineering to FTC Level from recognized Higher Learning Institution. Or National Vocational Award NVA Level 3 in following fields Motor Vehicle Mechanics (MVM), Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanics (HDEM), Fitter Mechanics (FM), Welding & Fabrication (WF), Auto Electric (AE) or Refrigeration & Air Conditioning (RAC)
- A minimum of Five (5) years working experience in in mechanical maintenance of heavy diesel engine equipment with hydraulic controls.
- Practical ‘hands on’ over 5 years in engine overhauling, hydraulic systems and pumps repair, Radiator repairs, starter motor repair, motor and generator repair, Ability to do any engineering modification and troubleshooting.
- Ability to Operate a variety of workshop hand, power tools and machines
- Ability to Read and interpret drawings, P&ID, and specifications. Understand a variety of technical instructions in text or diagram form
- Skills in Basic hoisting wire ropes and electrical principles and practices of hydraulics related to pumps
- Simple report writing and records maintenance
- Good understanding of the functioning of generators, engines and traction machinery or Quay cranes and Rubber Tyre Gantry cranes.
- Excellent problem analysis
- Ability to work independently
- Highest level of integrity and ethics compliance
- Interpersonal skills and ability to communicate fluently in English and Swahili
- Computer knowledge would be an added advantage
If you meet the above criteria, please apply in the strictest confidence to the address below enclosing:
- Motivation letter
- A detailed curriculum vitae with certified copies of certificates
- Three referees who will not be contacted without your consent
The Chief Human Resources & Administration Officer
Tanzania International Container Terminal Services
Ltd P.O. Box 71442, Dar es Salaam
Application deadline is 27th May 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.