Mercy Corps Community Facilitator Job in Isiolo County, Kenya
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future. We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs.
We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
We are looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
Position: Community Facilitator
Location: Isiolo County – Oldonyiro Ward
Program / Department Summary: The is a five-year USAID-funded Kenya Feed the Future (FtF) Livestock Market Systems (LMS) Activity for northern Kenya. This activity will contribute to USAID’s Feed the Future Initiative and specifically will improve households’ income, productive assets and resilience to drought and other shocks.
General Position Summary: The Community Facilitator will be responsible for execution of the Girls Improving Resilience with Livelihoods (GIRL), a 9-month adolescent girl personal agency empowerment safe space model aimed at supporting human capital development for resilient individuals who are well placed for commercial engagement.
S/he will focus on community adolescent girls engagement, including the identification, recruitment and retention of training girls and participants; the establishment of partnerships with key community members (elders, religious leaders, government officials); and ensuring that common strategies and approaches are applied consistently in all communities.
Essential Job Functions:
Community Engagement and Training
- Contribute to team work plans and successful implementation of Girls Improving Resilience with Livelihood activities.
- In collaboration with GIRL Officer, identify and recruit girls in the community to participate in safe space groups.
- Implement a 9-month adolescent girls’ personal agency empowerment safe space model.
- Manage adolescent girls’ safe space groups in collaboration with GIRL mentors.
- Provide mentoring to a minimum of 30 GIRL mentors every year.
- Support the GIRL Officer with conducting trainings Girl mentors to deliver technical curricula to adolescent girls.
- Support and guide the GIRL mentors to deliver trainings to adolescent girls.
- Support with safe space community mapping activities.
- In coordination with the GIRL Officer, monitor the implementation of activities through regular field visits and assessments to ensure program quality and impact and document successes and lessons learned.
- Mobilize the community for events related to GIRL activities.
- Take part in the identification and recruitment of girls in the community to participate in safe space groups.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Monitor the GIRL safe space groups on a daily basis and upload all data collected data in ONA platform on a weekly basis.
- Prepare accurate and timely monitoring and field reports on a weekly basis and other project documentation as required.
- In collaboration with GIRL Officer, report on the attendance, businesses and savings groups’ performances via the GIRL group monitoring tool and to the
- County Project Coordinator
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with an NGO/CBO in a Livelihoods, Education, Community Development/Engagement program.
- Diploma in Community Development, Social Work, Gender Studies or any other related field.
- Basic computer skills knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Commitment to working with women, girls, youth and vulnerable groups in need, regardless of race, tribe, religion or gender.
- Experience in data collection and data entry is an added advantage.
- Experience with mentorship of girls.
- Experience facilitating trainings.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong written and spoken English and Kiswahili. Local language skills are required.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work without constant supervision and as part of a diverse team.
S/he will have good representation and problem solving skills.
Attention to detail and analytical skills are essential for the role.
The Community Facilitator will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to [email protected] or hand deliver in a sealed envelope to the Mercy Corps Isiolo Office located in Kiwanjani next to Governor’s office on or before Friday 22nd February, 2019.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
All candidates must provide a recommendation letter from the chief/assistant chief of Oldonyiro ward.
The letter must be stamped and signed and include contact details of the chief/assistant chief.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process