United Nations International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Messenger/ Mail Clerk, G-2
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 15 May 2020
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 16 April 2020
OFFICE : Registry/ General Services Section (GSS)
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2020/IRMCT/REG/GSS/068-GS
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational setting and Reporting:
This position is located in the General Services Section of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT),
Arusha Branch. The incumbent will work under the general supervision of the Logistic Operations Officer.
– Responsible for pouch dispatch documentation, distribution of interoffice mail, incoming pouch, outgoing mail materials and
overnight express services.
– Prepares tags to identify: destinations, dates, airline carrier, and correct pouch numbers, summary of enclosures for each
– Estimates number of pouches. Prepares daily pouch log reflecting the number of pouches, weights, etc. for scheduled
airlines destinations and airlines.
– Tracks the distribution of all mail as well as pouch service.
– Ensures that all items received through the incoming pouch for intra-shipment, outgoing pouch, and in outgoing mail units,
are accurately recorded.
– Signs for valuable items to be shipped via pouch and outgoing mail unit, identifies and sorts items to be shipped by pouch,
by mail or by contracted shippers.
– Ensures timely distribution of urgent mail.
– Assist in receipt and issuing of drinking water and sanitary supplies from GSS store
– Delivers by hand, sensitive and urgent letters to embassies, government ministries, UN Agencies and NGOs, etc.
– Ensures timely distribution of conference documents.
– Receives all official, personal and confidential mail and packages, addressed to United Nations Mechanism for International
Criminal Tribunal, delivers, and maintains accurate records.
– Receives certified mail, registered mail, express mail, mail from permanent missions, courier deliveries, and other personal
mail; prepares log sheet and forwards to the appropriate offices.
– Assists unit supervisor to open and inspect items intended for dispatch to ensure that all are in compliance with pouch and
– Performs other ad hoc tasks as required.
• Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject
matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by
professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains
calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and
full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has
responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organisational regulations
and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal
responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’
point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies
clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’
environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets
timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
United Nations International Residual
Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year of experience in handling mail, pouch registry operations or related area.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and
written English is required.
There may be a technical test followed by a competency-based interview.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly
encouraged to apply for this position.
The appointment is limited to the Mechanism. Appointment of the successful candidate on this position will be limited to the
initial funding of the post. Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of
funds. Appointments of staff members in the United Nations are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General.
HOW TO APPLY:
NOTE FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES:
1) Staff at the G-3 levels are eligible to apply; the requirement for one year post occupancy is applicable.
2) Interested staff members must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable via personal inspira accounts
(in PDF format) or the Mechanism website. Please submit all documents including the PHP, a Cover Letter, and the last two ePAS’s ELECTRONICALLY AS ONE DOCUMENT to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number
in the subject line.
3) Applicants may have to sit the United Nations Global General Services Test (GGST) as per OHRM instructions. Evidence of
passing the ASAT/GGST is encouraged in order to assess the need for testing.
NOTE FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES:
1) External applicants must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable from the Mechanism website
(www.irmct.org) and forward electronically AS ONE DOCUMENT to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job
opening number in the subject line. Applicants may have to sit the United Nations Global General Services Test (GGST) in
the duty station as per OHRM instructions. Evidence of passing the ASAT/GGST is encouraged in order to assess the need
2) The appointment of the successful candidate will be on a local basis.
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE AT MIDNIGHT (THE HAGUE TIME) ON THE CLOSING
DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.