Requisition ID: req10442
Job Title: MHPSS/Psycho Social Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kibondo, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) Tanzania is present in the Kigoma Region, Northwestern Tanzania, providing services in one remaining refugee camp in Kasulu District and at a transit Centre in Kigoma town. Approximately 65,000 Congolese receive protection and basic assistance in the areas of Education, Child Protection, Community-based Rehabilitation (care for disabled), Vulnerable Care, Youth & Development and Women’s Protection and Empowerment/Gender-Based Violence (WPE/GBV). However, Since May 2015, hundreds of Burundians displaced by the conflict in Burundi continue to arrive in Tanzania on daily basis. The population of Burundians currently living in Nyarugusu, Nduta and other transit sites in Tanzania is 128,725. On 7th October 2015, the government of the United Republic of Tanzania opened Nduta refugee camp which today hosts 32% (41,708) of all Burundian refugees in Tanzania relocated from Nyarugusu and the daily new arrivals. On 14th January 2015 Mtendeli was opened and currently hosts close to 5,000 refugees with a plan to relocate up to 15,000 refugees from Nyarugusu by March 2016.
Scope of work
This position will be responsible for delivering psychotherapeutic counseling to Burundian refugees and providing guidance and supervision to MHPSS incentive staff on the delivery of MHPSS services. He/she will be involved in constant participation, facilitation, and organization of MHPSS services and activities delivered in the camp. He/she will also liaise with sectors and other partners on mental wellbeing concerns. The position is located in one of the following camps; Nyarugusu, Nduta or Mtendeli it is more of community outreach based.
- Plan, develop and implement MHPSS activities in the MHPSS Wellness center in a participatory manner.
- Plan and facilitate psychosocial Individual and support group Therapeutic sessions and activities.
- Plan and facilitate group interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-G) for clients struggling with depression symptoms.
- Conduct intake and post-session assessments for all MHPSS beneficiaries.
- Ensure timely referral and follow up of cases in need of further support.
- Conduct group meetings and brainstorming sessions with beneficiaries for MHPSS related activities
- Regularly monitor activities and provide feedback to staff to ensure high quality implementation of program activities
- Build the capacities of volunteers, including trainings to MHPSS incentive staff, other sectors/partners and community members to facilitate participatory and inclusive activities.
- Weekly and monthly reports on progress against targets.
- Contribute to data entry and analysis of gathered information.
- Prepare order requests to use funds for psychosocial support activities in line with IRC policies and procedures.
- Supervise and develop detailed work plans for incentive staff for proper implementation of psychosocial services.
- Collaborate with the Supervisor to prepare an individual work plan based on the annual plan.
- Facilitate activities that raise awareness about mental health and psychosocial wellness and resiliency.
- Conduct Focused Group Discussions (FGDs) with community members, community leaders, religious leaders, schoolteachers, adolescents, children and youth.
- Contribute to quarterly, semi-annual, and annual donor reports.
- Attend meetings, trainings, as advised by supervisor and share feedback.
- Bachelor or diploma in counseling psychology/clinical psychology/psychiatric nurse or other related field.
- Experience working with emotionally distressed people and people with mental disorders.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative required and meet deadlines.
- Computer skills: knowledge of MS Word; Excel and Outlook required.
- Swahili and good English written, and oral skills required. French and Kirundi is a plus.
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Women are encourage to apply.
The deadline for submitting the application is 02nd October 2020.