Location : Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA
Deadline : 24-Feb-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Languages Required : English
Duties and Responsibilities
The Photographer and Video Producer will report to the Communications Consultant to carry out the following duties and responsibilities as and when need arises.
• Capture high resolution images of UN WOMEN programme activities being implemented in various parts of the country and securing written consent from beneficiaries and other partners to enable use of pictures in all work related to UN Women;
• Caption each image according to UN Women standards and guidelines, with specific details such as the location the image was taken, full names of person/s, what the activity was all about, when and other relevant information important to create a stand-alone photo story;
• Provide high resolution images from all the projects to be documented on CD-roms and internal share drive. The copy right for all the images remains with UN Women.
• To give creative input to the overall photo shooting; and provide technical equipment needed for all still pictures and video production and editing (Photoshop), and additional light equipment deemed necessary;
• Lead documentation, utilization, attending to office requests for images and videos and dissemination for visibility and advocacy;
• To support production of high-quality images of women and girls representing all regions of Tanzania for use in creating a woman-friendly environment for the UN Women work spaces in Dar es Salaam, Dodoma and Zanzibar;
• To lead production and editing of short videos and documentaries on the work by UN Women with partners, reflecting impact of programmes and beneficiaries;
• Lead training of office staff on the basics of photography and short video production and editing; and
• Support any other assignments related to photography and video production as required during this period.
• A Collection of high-resolution images relevant to UN Women’s work in Tanzania, across its core programme areas. High resolution for printing for office branding and publishing in the media as well as in jpg, professionally accepted resolution for website use and social media.
• A collection of photo essays, slide shows for each project, reflecting the work, impact and beneficiaries.
• Edited images are captioned and well documented for knowledge management in the Shared Drive and CD-roms.
• Production of high-quality edited short videos for each programme/project
• Production of high-quality edited documentary reflecting UN Women’s work with partners and showing activities and impact.
Key Performance Indicators
• Timely contribution to communication and advocacy materials
• Timely organization of discussions, conferences, briefings and other events
• Timely provision of relevant background information
• Ability to plan and organize photo shoots and field video production
• Ability to take high quality photographs (photoshop experience)
• Ability to professionally produce and edit videos and documentaries
• A high sense of documentation and utilization, strong multimedia skills, with focus to social media platforms and usage of videos and images and other real time platforms
• Responding to internal requests for photographs and videos for various visibility purposes, including for reporting and presentations
• Innovations: Creative and artistic approach towards production of photos and videos, a strong sense of news pictures is desirable for dissemination through mass media
• Availability, reliability and willingness to travel in-country
• Ability to train others and function in a team-oriented environment.
• Respect for Diversity
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
• Creative Problem Solving
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
• Completion of secondary education required;
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism and Media Studies with an inclusion of Photo Journalism and Video Production and Editing and other related disciplines related to the skills required.
• Experience and ability to deliver the results will also be considered in the absence of a degree qualification.
• At least four (4) years of practical experience as a Photojournalist and Video Producer and Editor;
• Experience in photojournalism and video production including concept development and image creation of photo essays for promotion of social justice and advocacy;
• Experience in providing media photographic and video support to UN and with other exposure in the related area in Africa in general;
• Demonstrated experience in covering outreach activities;
• Understanding of gender and empowerment of women and girls’ issues in the context of Tanzania;
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work in multicultural settings and with UN Women partners and communities where activities are being implemented;
• Ability to extract information, knowledge and sensitivities relevant to assignments from a variety of sources before taking images and videos;
• Background on photo-editing; excellent oral and written skills including short descriptive reports, script writing and captions;
• Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages related to photography and video production and editing.
• Fluency in English, Kiswahili is an asset to enable field operations.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE