TERMS OF REFERENCE
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Vacancy Number: IOM/DAR/025/2021
Position title: National Consultant – Disaster Risk Reduction
Duty Station: Home based
Duration of Assignment: Four (4) months
Type of Appointment Consultancy Contract
Organizational Unit: Programme Unit
Reporting direct to: Programme Coordinator
Estimated Start Date February 2022
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
With the support of the IOM Development Fund, IOM and the government of the
United Republic of Tanzania and the Prime Minister’s Office – Disaster Management Department (DMD), are undertaking a project which has as its objective to contribute to strengthening the capacity of the United Republic of Tanzania in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
Capacity-building through training is one of the project outputs under this project. This will require a good training manual. IOM and DMD are seeking an expert who can develop an Integrated Disaster Management Training Manual on DRR. The manual shall contain important information including the specific, measurable, and realistic learning objectives, targeting participants with clear and complete course content but also the methodology and tools for assessing participants’ learning and progress, (i.e. evaluation). This will begin by reviewing DMD’s existing disaster management training manual and developing a new edition therefrom. The training manual will consider the integration of the specific needs of women, men, girls and boys, vulnerable groups’ needs and cultural diversity into DRR.
The general responsibility of the Consultant is to provide leadership and direction in developing an integrated disaster management training manual. The Consultant will work with disaster management stakeholders from different institutions to agree on potential hazards in the country that needs attention and will step-by-step facilitate the process of developing the manual. They will jointly scan the Tanzanian environment for disasters, cover the context under which certain disasters occur, analyse causality, determine, and provide evidence base for strategies that are known to work.
The overall objective of this assignment is to develop a generic integrated disaster training manual to be used by all disaster management stakeholders in the country through a participatory process
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Specifically, the Consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- Prepare and submit an inception report with clear methodological approach that will be used in carrying-out the assignment.
- Undertake a desk review on different disaster management reports and documents from inside and outside Tanzania, which will be deemed useful for accomplishing the assignment.
- Prepare and facilitate the Multisectoral stakeholders’ consultative meetings to review the existing disaster management training manual of the United Republic of Tanzania. (Working document to be used during the Multisectoral consultative meeting with stakeholders.)
- Facilitate the incorporation and integration of the stakeholder’s input into the integrated disaster management training manual document.
- Preparation of draft integrated disaster management training manual document and presentation of the same to stakeholders for review.
- Finalization of the integrated disaster management training manual documents by incorporating stakeholders’ comments before validation of the manual.
- Facilitate the validation meeting of the DRR training manual.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Law, Disasters Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, International Relations, Management, or other related fields.
- Post graduate degree in the area of Training/Education or related field, knowledge on Disaster Management will be added advantage.
- Extensive experience in Disaster Management, specifically development of polices, guidelines, strategies, and SOP’s.
- Understanding of the Disaster Management context in the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Strong technical skills and at least five years’ experience in the field of Education and Training manual development.
- Knowledge and experience in carrying out the assignment of similar nature.
- Sound and proven understanding of migration issues in United Republic of Tanzania and in East Africa.
- Experience working with United Nations Agency, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), Government agencies or in the private sector.
- Proficient in computer software: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Words, Excel, power point and Internet Explorer).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Self-starter who can work independently under pressure.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and eye for detail.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Assessment and secondary data research analysis skills.
- Analytical, creative, and critical thinking.
- Ability to work under timeframes given.
- Data protection principles
(specify the required knowledge)
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Portuguese is desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
“All the vacancies announced by IOM Tanzania are completely free and candidates are not at any point requested to pay a fee for applying or during the recruitment process
The vacancy is opened for Tanzanian national only.
Only e-mail applications will be considered.
The deadline for submitting the application is 2 January 2022.