National Consultant One Health Specialist
Organizational Unit: FRURT
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Tanzania, United Republic of
Duration: 17 days
Post Number: N/A
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), FAO is implementing the sustainable operationalization of the One Health in Africa project, funded by the United States Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and to strengthen the operationalization of the one health approach in 6 countries (Cameroon, Ethiopia, Kenya, Liberia, Senegal and Tanzania). These countries have adopted this approach and its operationalization is ongoing through activities supported by FAO and others partners. Building on institutions, partnerships, frameworks and infrastructures at the regional, national and local levels, the project aims to accelerate the implementation of the one health approach through innovative activities, which will contribute, to the improvement of the implementation of this approach in the beneficiary countries. The project is being implemented in close collaboration with others projects that support the one health care approach such as the GHSP program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The National Consultant will work under the overall supervision of Senior Animal Health Officer, Head, Global Emergency Centre for Transboundary Animal Diseases (ECTAD), the functional and administrative oversight of the FAO Representative in Tanzania, direct technical supervision of the ECTAD country team lead and the One Health Coordinator
As part of the activities of the FAO Emergency Center for Transboundary Animal Diseases (FAO-ECTAD), under the overall supervision of Senior Animal Health Officer, Head, and Global Emergency Centre for Transboundary Animal Diseases (ECTAD), direct technical supervision of the ECTAD country team lead and the One Health Coordinator, the national consultant will undertake the following tasks and responsibilities.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop guidelines of the One Health (OH) platform for the effective operationalization of OH at sub National levels.
- Develop ToRs for the workshop to adopt the new OH guidelines.
- Facilitate the workshop for the adoption of the new OH guidelines.
- Develop a country-specific multi-sectoral reference document to be used by the One Health Platform to plan and conduct multisectoral simulation exercises.
- Develop, in collaboration with the One Health Platform, the scenario of the simulation exercise which will take place at central or sub-national level.
- Plan in collaboration with the One Health platform the roll-out of the table-top simulation exercise and after-action review;
- Lead the table – top simulation exercise and after-action review.
- Submit a consultation report including; the reference document, guidelines, the simulation exercise scenarios of selected disease and the after-action simulation exercise review.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Hold a degree in veterinary medicine or a doctor in medicine or degree in public health, disaster management, epidemiology;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years professional experience in the implementation of animal health and human health programs; strengthening of health systems support, technical and or institutional and organizational support for public services in risk preparedness and management;
- A master’s degree in above related fields will be an added advantage.
- Candidates should be Tanzanian;
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Have experience in simulation exercises: programming, indoor or full-scale exercise planning, development of the simulation exercise scenario, implementation of the simulation exercise, after-action review. simulation exercise;
- Have experience in co-operation with the Public Administration (Veterinary Services, Human Health Services, Environmental Services, and Prime Minister’s Office) and / or international organizations (OIE, FAO, WHO, AU-IBAR, IAEA, World Bank, etc.).
- Have technical, institutional and organizational capacity in building risk preparedness and management;
- Have experience on supporting process to develop or review governance manual, SoPs or guideline;
- Be able to draft reports clearly, concisely, and good oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to work in English and Kiswahili
- Excellent computer skills.
- Extent and relevance of work experience;
- Excellent communication skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Job Posting: 22/Feb/2021
Closure Date: 08/Mar/2021, 1:59:00 AM
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT