UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, [Protection]
In 2018, the Tanzania Country Office (TCO) embarked on several key change initiatives which require additional technical support for the Programme Monitoring and Field Coordination (PMFC) section. These initiatives include: 1) Implementation of the findings of the UNICEF MTR process; 2) Implementation of the UNDAP II MTR process; 3) Changes to the end of year reporting process.
1)Implementation of changes coming out of the UNICEF MTR process: TCO conducted a Mid Term Review in 2018. The aim was to review the status of the 2016-2021 Country Programme and the progress towards the planned results and to determine whether any modifications to the expected results, strategies and content are necessary based on the changing environment in the country. The MTR process identified several strategic shifts one of which was enhancing UNICEF TCO’s work at sub-national (district or Local Government Authority – LGA) level, working in partnership with local level leadership and the President’s Office, Regional and Local Government Authority. This work will be led by the Social Policy section with strong engagement of the Planning, Monitoring and Field Coordination section and the field offices.
2)Implementation of changes related to Delivering as One and UN Reform processes in Tanzania: The United Nations Development Assistance Plan II 2016-2021 (UNDAP II) describes the collective vision and response of the UN Country Team (UNCT) in Tanzania to the new Sustainable Development Goals and national development priorities. UNDAP II results are defined under 12 Programmatic Outcomes, grouped under four inter-related mutually dependent themes, or Thematic Results Groups (TRG). The UN Country Team (UNCT), under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator, is responsible for implementation of the UNDAP II.
Since 2007, Tanzania has been one of the countries actively leading Delivering as One initiatives which resulted in all UN agencies in the country planning, implementing and reporting as one to achieve greater coherence, effectiveness and efficiencies through four structures: One Programme, One Leader, One Budget, One Office and One Voice. As part of the on-going UN Reform initiatives, the UN System in Tanzania adopted (as one of the first countries in the world) the UN INFO platform, which aims to bring together information regarding the planning, implementation and monitoring of all UN supported activities in Tanzania into one UN INFO platform. The implementation of this system has been challenging at times, especially to align it with existing UNICEF processes and systems. The PMFC section has been leading and supporting work on this and would need additional technical support in these tasks.
3) In addition, existing in office planning, implementation and monitoring guidelines and tools and Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) need to be reviewed/revised to be fully aligned with UN INFO, e-Tools and the Government planning, implementation and monitoring processes. The clarity gained from the implementation guide of the UNINFO will help the PMFC better incorporate the UNINFO processes in the overall planning SOPs.
Objectives of the Consultancy
The purpose of the consultancy is therefore to support the PMFC section, the UNICEF office in Dar es Salaam and the field offices in Zanzibar, Mbeya and Kibondo in the implementation of some of these different key change initiatives over a 4-month period. This specifically includes mapping of convergent programming and strengthened skills and linkage between UNICEF tools and use of UN INFO.
The consultant will work closely with the designated UNICEF programme officer throughout the duration of the assignment. It is envisaged that the consultancy will be informed by both desk and field visits.
Below are indicative tasks to be achieved by the consultant:
- UNINFO and one UN processes
- Support the implementation of changes related to Delivering as One and UN Reform processes in Tanzania:
- In close collaboration with the PMFC section ensure the full integration of UN INFO requirements and processes into UNICEF planning, implementation of monitoring tools and processes (see concrete deliverable under deliverables section);
- Ensure UNICEF activities are accurately reflected in UN INFO, with tags for geographical coverage, joint programmes, etc.
- Train UNICEF staff on the use of UN INFO including a user’s guide;
- ECD and Adolescent mapping
- Map out best examples of convergent programming for ECD and adolescent programming at district/community level in Zanzibar, the MINS Regions and Kigoma, with a brief analysis of the root causes of success, bottlenecks and key actions to further enhance convergent programming;
- Map out NGO/CSO and other partners in Zanzibar, the MINS Regions and Kigoma to support the implementation of convergent programming around ECD and Adolescents (Who are they? What are they doing? Where are they working?)
The following will be the deliverables for this assignment.
- UNINFO and one UN processes
- Draft needs assessment tool designed to capture the needs of TCO staff on UNINFO.
- Data collected and analysed.
- Draft concept notes on how the needs and gaps identified are to be addressed.
- Capacity building of staff on UNINFO
- Draft guidance note on what relevant aspects of UNINFO can be integrated into internal TCO UNICEF planning, implementation and monitoring guidance and tools
- A UNINFO guide in place for future use once consultant leaves
- ECD and Adolescent mapping
- Desk review report of convergent programming and mapping in TCO. This should include a suggested methodology on how convergent sites are to be sampled
- Report showing where UNICEF can show programme convergence or the lack of it (in MINS, Kigoma and Zanzibar) and lessons learnt (with analysis of success factors).
- Interactive data-base in place in Zanzibar, MINS and Kigoma with systems in place for regularly updating of mapping information.
- Interactive NGO/CSO data-base in place in Zanzibar, MINS regions and Kigoma showing key NGOs/CSOs working on children’s in place, with systems in place for regularly updating of the information.