mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Job Title: PMTCT Advisor
he Programme Advisor is responsible for managing m2m’s activities in the Morogoro region, specifically providing implementation support to Deloitte. The Programme Advisor will supervise m2m’s activities at the sites, including regular site visits to promote quality, support for strategic information (SI) and Mother Champion activities, facilitation of weekly site meetings, operations, and technical support. The Programme Advisor will be responsible for building the capacity of Mother Champions and supervisors to strengthen PMTCT outcomes. This position will also support the development of relationships with key stakeholders, and contribute to project reporting and deliverables, including writing sections of deliverables. The Programme Advisor reports to the Senior Capacity Building Advisor (SCBA).
Key Performance Areas:
- Programme management and oversight
- Provide support to the Field Coordinators in development and implementation of site level annual work plans
- Oversee service delivery of quality programmes at assigned geolocations (health facilities and surrounding communities)
- Provide leadership to the Field Coordinators, and support them in ensuring quality programme implementation and supervision of site staff
- Compile periodic internal and donor programme analytical progress reports
- Manage the use of electronic client management and SI tools at site level
- Technical Support and Quality Improvement
- Lead technical assistance to implementing partner to support consistent availability of services and improved service delivery for clients living with HIV, towards improved viral suppression
- Provide implementation support to partner supervisory staff in PMTCT programme management. Conduct joint supportive supervision with partner programme management teams.
- Lead recruitment, training, and capacity building of site staff and provincial staff on data documentation, monthly data compilation and data quality check techniques
- Conduct site assessments to inform programming needs
- Develop and lead implementation of ongoing evidence-informed quality improvement plans
- Support Field Coordinators in ensuring quality programme implementation and supervision of site staff
- Conduct site-level supervision and monitoring activities, including data quality checks, and monthly quality improvement and performance monitoring meetings at site level
- Monitor weekly data. Work with implementing partner to provide programmatic data and analysis to inform quality/service improvement. Consolidate analysis and report to programme leads. Work with Field Coordinator, M&E Assistant, and implementing partner supervisors to develop and implement rapid improvement plans.
- Develop standards for implementing and operationalising the programme and ensure that they are well understood by the implementing partner, Ministry of Health, regional and district level partners and site level staff (including community stakeholders)
- Support oversight and monitoring of site level programme expenditure with support from Finance Business Partner and in compliance with the organisational and donor financial policies/procedures
- Manage necessary operations for programme implementation, including procurement, travel, and HR with support from Head Office
- Liaise closely with the SCBA and m2m Head Office team to ensure sound implementation of Human Resources (HR) processes including staff development
- Performance management and mentoring of Field staff
- Verify and submit payroll documentation related to project staff
Regional and District Engagement
- Serve as m2m lead for the project in Morogoro region
- Represent m2m in provincial and district coordinating forums including managing strategic relationships with Regional and Council Health Management Teams including RMNCH/PMTCT counterparts at the regional/district Ministry of Health level, and other implementing partners/stakeholders
- Produce project/geo-location reports
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Public Administration, Social Sciences or related field with up to five years’ experience and a demonstrated track record in management of public health programming
- At least two years’ experience in a supervisory role
- Experience providing technical support/assistance to partner organisations
- Demonstrated knowledge of PMTCT/RMNCH/HIV and AIDS including broader maternal and child health issues
- Understanding of relevant government policy and the public health landscape in Tanzania. Experience working in Morogoro region preferred and with lay health care workers and peer educators preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of/exposure to PMTCT/RMNCH policy and working knowledge of relevant MOH protocols
- Experience coordinating and/or leading public health programmes in resource limited settings. Experience working in USAID/PEPFAR programmes preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in conduct of technical on-site supervision using programme tools, and implementing quality improvement initiatives
- Experience supporting use of electronic client management tools strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead the execution of efficient support systems including creating programme, operational, tracking and evaluation support tools
- Demonstrated ability in developing and maintaining stakeholder relationships at multiple levels including government, donors and implementing partners
- Excellent writing, editing, and grammar skills in English and ability to communicate effectively and succinctly to internal and external audiences
- Strong Computer Literacy (Microsoft Office Suite)
- The ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Exceptional leader with excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Flexible, with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong mentoring skills
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Valid driver’s license
- mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people. Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
The deadline for submitting the application is September 18, 2020