Program & Communications Intern at Seed Change Tanzania
Deadline Date: Friday, 21 February 2020
Organization: Seed Change Tanzania
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
About the position:
The majority of people in Western Tanzania have their livelihoods in agriculture but they suffer from poverty due to an underdeveloped agriculture system. You will use your skills in storytelling, media, and communications to help support sustainable agriculture in Western Tanzania. Your work will assist an agriculture social enterprise, Seed Change, in telling their story by effectively communicating their work, image, and goals to current and perspective donors and other Western stakeholders and assisting our Program Manager in running on-going programs. As an intern, you will do more than getting the morning coffee. Instead you will operate as a full member of our team with real responsibilities. We will work with you to accomplish your goals for your internship.
About the Organisation:
Seed Change is committed to lifting smallholder Tanzanian farming families out of poverty through a sustainable oil palm industry in Kigoma. More information about the organisation can be found at seedchangetazania.org
About living in Kigoma, Tanzania:
Seed Change is located in Kigoma, a safe, lakefront town in Western Tanzania. It is a day’s ride away from the nearest large city but a few minutes ride from beautiful beaches. You are welcome to share a comfortable, western style house with other expatriates. The house has a private bedroom for you and a shared bathroom with one other person. It has consistent 24/7 security, hot water, electricity, a gas stove and a lake front view.
Sample of Responsibilities:
· Assist Seed Change staff in writing and designing of organizational reports (see previous reports here: https://www.seedchangetanzania.org/publications/)
· Assist in the management, and monitoring and evaluation of our Acre of Agroforestry project.
· Create materials to promote our messages to our donors, such as farmer profiles, videos, photos, data visualization, and short articles for the monthly newsletter.
· Write 1-2 blog post each month sharing stories of Seed Change and our farmers.
· Complete farmer profiles to help our international stakeholders better understand the people we are serving and the impact of the work we do.
· Assist the Program Manager in our regular programming, including: running village meetings, general operations, and identifying potential farmers to participate in our agroforestry program.
Who we are looking for:
· Able to work independently and remain organized with a few projects at the same time and able to take initiative to develop new projects.
· Comfortable working in a cross-cultural setting with people whose first language is not English and who may have never met a foreigner before.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Comfortable with computers, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, basic uses of Excel and basic photo editing.
· A flair for creative storytelling and communications. The organizations have great stories to tell so lots of scope for interesting angles!
We want to help you reach your professional goals! This position is flexible and can be tailored around your goals for your internship. We will work with you to fit your strengths with the skills you want to learn to build a relevant experience you can use in your career.
We will provide a stipend which should cover, or almost completely cover, living expenses while in Kigoma. All work-related transport in the Kigoma region will be covered by the organization. We will also provide an experienced translator, if needed.
The dates for the internship are flexible but we expect the candidate to be in Kigoma for at least 8 weeks between May and August 2020.
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected]
Due to the high volume of applicants only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.