NHLS Laboratory Program Officer
Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) has been awarded by the US Centres for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) funds to implement the Project ‘Strengthening the Quality, Accessibility, and Sustainability of the National Health Laboratory Services (NHLS) in United Republic of Tanzania under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The goal of the project is empowering the National Health Laboratory System (NHLS) in the country to achieve and monitor progress towards the UNAIDS 95-95-95 goals.
THPS will support national lab systems strengthening through this five-year award in the following key areas:
Implementation of continuous quality improvement (CQI) of HIV rapid testing to increase access and improve the quality of HIV rapid A testing at all levels,
- Increase access to HIV early infant diagnosis (EID) and TB testing at all levels.
- Increase availability and use of laboratory data to inform improved patient management, healthcare provision, programs and policy decision making.
- Implementation and provision of technical assistance (TA) on establishing a Laboratory Information System (LIS) and using laboratory generated data in all laboratories.
THPS is currently seeking highly experienced, committed and motivated Tanzanians to fill in the following position below:
TITLE: NHLS Laboratory Program Officer
REPORTS TO: NHLS Laboratory Coordinator
LOCATION: Central Office Dar es Salaam (with frequent field travel)
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES: Provide technical support to the NHLS Project in all matters related to laboratory systems strengthening including laboratory data management, implementation of laboratory quality systems and in training of laboratory personnel and health care providers in the regions and health facilities.
- Support the development of tools for recording and reporting laboratory testing and services data from HFs through to national level.
- Conduct assessments and evaluation of laboratories and HFs to focus laboratory and health system strengthening investments,
- Support the development of laboratory training materials including standard operating procedures for HIV VLJEID and TB laboratory testing.
- Organize and oversee the training of Laboratory and non-Laboratory HCWs on HIV, and TB laboratory testing according to the national standard for laboratory services benchmarks.
- Participate in regular project and joint supportive supervision at the zones, regions and HFs to ensure availability and accessible laboratory services at all levels.
- Coordinate laboratory services virtual trainings using ECHO within the regions and zones in collaboration with relevant partners.
- Support collection, aggregation, utilization and reporting of laboratory data to facilitate informed laboratory strengthening decision making at all levels.”
- Perform other technical duties as assigned by his/her supervisors
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Required: Degree in medical laboratory sciences; microbiology, immunology, hematology, pathology and clinical chemistry from a recognized university. ;
- Required: Postgraduate degree in one of the above laboratory disciplines OR Masters of Public Health (MPH)
- Required: Minimum 5years working experience in HIV and/or TB laboratories including a supervisory role and laboratory or health systems strengthening is required.
- Experience in working with HIV and TB programs, R/CHMTS, and multidisciplinary health teams is an added advantage.
- Experience in the development of training materials and training of healthcare workers.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; ability to effectively work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Registered with Medical Laboratory Practitioners Board.
- Experience in using computer applications including Microsoft Office is required.
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum to ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) by December 20th 2019 with a subject line for example: NHLS Laboratory Program Officer. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online. THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women and people living with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to apply.