Position: Programme Manager
Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organization, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realize their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing costeffective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in lowincome countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organization of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organization committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania is part of a leading development organization that started its operations in 2006 in Tanzania, focusing on thematic areas of Agriculture, Youth and Women Empowerment, Food Security and Livelihood
In 2022, the Mastercard Foundation in partnership with BRAC International (BI) will be announcing an initiative that will create a positive and measurable impact for 1.2 million adolescent girls and young women and 9.5 million people across seven countries in East and West Africa, including Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, and Uganda.
There is mounting urgency to support adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) living in poverty, which has been further amplified by the global pandemic. Through this partnership, scalable economic development approaches will be delivered in communities to foster the agency and voice of AGYW. They will have the opportunity to fulfill their aspirations, achieve sustainable livelihoods, and engage in advocacy issues.
BRAC International will implement an integrated and holistic model to address the various life cycles of a young woman living in poverty, ensuring she is able to transition safely from adolescence to adulthood. She will be equipped with the appropriate skills, tools, and access to finance to effectively exercise her agency and build a fulfilling and productive livelihood.
In preparation for the launch, BRAC International is seeking applications from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position in BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania
PROGRAM MANAGER (AD# MCFBMT-2201)
The Programme Manager will manage the implementation of the flagship programme under the Mastercard Foundation-BRAC International partnership for BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania. This exciting role involves overseeing all day-to-day management and administrative aspects of the programme, under the supervision of Country Director/Head of Programmes, BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania and with programmatic guidance from the global technical team at BRAC International. This will be a full-time position based in BRAC’s country office in Dar es Salaam.
- Develop and contextualize integrated programming for AGYW:
- Oversee BRAC and partner staff to ensure effective coordination of integrated programming and multi-sectoral interventions.
- Manage stakeholder coordination to develop, adopt and deliver localized and comprehensive solutions for achieving holistic impact for AGYWs in targeted communities.
Manage the implementation of integrated programming for AGYW:
- Oversee overall implementation of the integrated program and related interventions in the targeted areas.
- Contextualize and implement the operations manual, manage recruitment and training of program staff, participant selection, profiling, and training.
- Establish safe-spaces for AGYWs, oversee the intervention package and input support, selection and delivery, life skills coaching, entrepreneurship trainings, formation of savings groups, linkages to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), Gender-based Violence (GBV) and other protection support, and social integration.
Ensure the implementation of a robust, inclusive MEL system:
- Ensure quality implementation of monitoring systems, the development and execution of Digital Data Gathering process, and support program evaluation activities.
- Support process documentation and analysis; dissemination of lessons learned and best practices among internal stakeholders and donors.
Manage stakeholder coordination, advocacy and networking:
- Lead internal coordination, especially with Microfinance counterparts and other global technical/functional teams
- Support technical donor reviews and external engagement activities including meetings with implementation partners, government agencies, civil society and local Community Based Organizations, organizing learning and knowledge-sharing sessions.
Grants management and reporting:
- Manage the implementation of standard award contracts, coordinate approval of agreements and sub-agreements, amendments, and extensions, as applicable
- Support budget development and reviews in alignment with technical narrative
- Support and coordinate with country-level Grants Managers, M&E, and Finance teams to ensure timely submission of quality narrative and financial reports on a quarterly basis.
- Oversee database management, including updates for pipeline reports, grant stewardship, prospect research, and contact management
Team management and overall stewardship:
- Manage external technical consultants and partners in the country
- Support the communications team with up-to-date content to create presentations and marketing materials to showcase program and project successes
- Conduct monitoring and program design visits on an as needed basis
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation
- Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place and encourage others to do the same
Master’s degree in Development Studies/Economics/Anthropology/Sociology/Business Administration and/or other relevant fields
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proven aptitude in proposal development and writing including advanced budgeting skills
- Experience in representation and negotiation with government, donors, partners and other stakeholders
- Ability to interpret financial data and prepare budgets and financial grant reports
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel
- Strong problem-solving skills, highly organized, strategic thinker with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration and demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Diplomatic and highly effective on an interpersonal level in addition to cross-cultural sensitivity
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of BRAC.
- Minimum 7 years work experience with at least 4 years of managerial/leadership experience in international development, working with ultra-poor and marginalized communities to implement integrated development programs including microfinance, graduation, livelihood, agricultural and food security, and/or girl’s and women’s empowerment programs
- Experience in project management and coordination, including supervision and monitoring, administration, finance, and logistics
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: (Contractual)
JOB LOCATION: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at email@example.com
Please mention the name of the position and AD# MCFBMT-2201 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 8th April 2022
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are a part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer.