Service, Health and Development for people living with HIV /AIDS (SHDEPHA+) is a national non-governmental organization, registered on 21 November 1994 with registration number SO 8216, with the aim of mobilizing resources to help people living with HIV/AIDS and to fight the spread of the disease. Although originally focusing on people living with HIV/AIDS, over the years SHDEPHA+ has expanded beyond HIV/AIDS and related issues to other development interventions and now covers both infected and affected by HIV/AIDS with over 65 branches countrywide. Each branch of SHDEPHA+ works independently, developing, managing, and implementing its projects; though all branches share one constitution and registration.
SHDEPHA+ Kahama, based in Kahama Municipal, is among the 65 branches, was launched in 1999 and started independent operations in 2002 has been working with both international and national donors, the local and central government and other stakeholders to work toward the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. The organization works with the poor, key, and vulnerable groups including women, children, youth, people with special needs; and it gives special attention to the underserved and marginalized populations such as PLHV, FSW, and VAGYW
SHDEPHA+ Kahama has been selected and reassigned to implement The Global Fund for AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) program as a sub recipient of AMREF Health Africa Tanzania ( as a Principal recipient (PR 2) for the Non State Actors) for the HIV/TB/Malaria/RSSH grant. The grant will be implemented for three years, from 2021 to 2023 in 4 regions of Tanzania (SHINYANGA, SIMIYU, TABORA and SINGIDA).
The GF HIV/TB project implementation will be done in collaboration and guidance from the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children and the President’s Office Regions Authority and Local Government (PORALG). With this, SHDEPHA+ Kahama therefore is seeking competent, experienced, dynamic, and qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below:
Position: PROJECT MANAGER (1)
Location: Kahama Municipal
Reports to: Programs Director and Program Manager (PR2)
Contract Duration: 12 months (renewable)
The program manager (1) Will advise and coordinate community GF HIV/TB activities in all 4 regions, ensures regional Project officers performs at maximum capacity to meet the expected deliverables and set targets. S/he will be involved in program planning as per requirements. S/he will report to Programs Director and (Program Manager (Global Fund)) with 100% LOE on the project. S/he will provide overall leadership in design, plan and roll out of innovative approaches for effective implementations GF HIV/TB interventions. S/he represent SHDEPHA+ Kahama and work closely with national technical working groups and relevant Government Authorities for providing oversight and leadership in implementation of HIV/TB Programs in Simiyu, Tabora, Shinyanga and Singida regions. S/he will be responsible for providing technical and leadership support to regional Program Officers in his/her portfolio.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review the project proposal, budget, targets, key performance indicators and ensure that the planning is realistic (Measurable, Reportable & Verifiable), both in terms of budget and implementation. Develop detailed work plans and budget in coordination with the respective partners as required.
- Assist project staff and partners to develop their plans in line with the required project objectives and deliverables.
- Support the project team by providing longer-term vision, strategic direction and appropriate planning aligned with SHDEPHA+ Organizational network plan.
- Review the project plans weekly, monthly and annually to ensure that they are realistic, both in terms of budget and overall project plan.
- Work with the concerned staff and partners to ensure effective implementation of the project.
- Regularly review & track the project progress against milestones and take corrective action where required, raising issues with the concerned personnel as needed timely and professionally.
- Promote and maintain effective partnerships with the partners and beneficiaries.
- Guide and lead the project team to achieve specific goals, objectives, and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) of the project.
- Ensure that work is appropriately delegated, and staff members are empowered to carry out tasks independently where appropriate matching their skills and capacity.
- Ensure efficient project management procedures are implemented to enable monitoring of projects and accurate reporting of progress.
- Ensure strict adherence to SHDEPHA+’ ethics, policy and pro-actively encourage transparency and openness in all activities.
- Manage financial resources of selected tasks and components while coordinating with the SHDEPHA+ Finance officer regarding budget control and financial procedures.
- Networking with Government and non-Government Organizations, and Private Sectors; Build strong relationships with the government authorities and arrange field visits and regular progress review meetings where necessary.
- Learn good practices from other Organizations and reflect these in the project.
- Represent SHDEPHA+ in building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with relevant service providers, government, national and international development partners, local stakeholders and communities, private sectors, and funder Partners representatives for effective implementation of projects.
- Prepare project progress reports (Monthly, Quarterly and Annual) based on a structured M&E framework including a review on financial report and provide necessary feedback.
- In cooperation with M&E to Ensure quality monitoring data collection from the field and timely reporting.
- Supervise, coach, and provide mentorship to the project staff.
- Assist in the recruitment of project staff (as and when required) Manage the performance of the project staff.
- Develop plans for capacity-building of the project team to enable the team to be more self standing in the future.
- Support effective communications and joint working within the team and with other teams across the organization.
- Identify and discuss with the Management team of any potential future funding opportunities which present themselves in the country and provide advice on their suitability and potential alignment with the SHDEPHA+ strategic direction.
- Initiate and participate in developing funding proposals Other Ad-hoc Tasks Be cognizant of the wider implications of the project, working effectively with other SHDEPHA+ functions in-in the regions: Finance, Quality team and program as appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree in public health, medicine, nursing, social sciences, international health, or a related discipline
- Experience in international public health, clinical services, or infectious disease control, with at least three years of experience in local or international or resource-challenged settings
- Practical experience with public health disease programs including national TB/HIV control programs is highly desirable
- Understanding of priority, key and vulnerable population programing and related policies and guidelines.
- Track record of delivering project goals within deadlines and budgets across public and private sectors and with NGOs.
- Demonstrable track record of effectively building and sustaining key external and internal relationships at community, utility, and governmental levels to realize project goals. Leading and Managing Project teams of stakeholders including staff.
SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to work independently and lead diverse multi-disciplinary team, stakeholder management skills.
- Project Management skills including strategy, planning, setting objectives and planning to meet those objectives, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, budgeting, financial management and sustainability.
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to define new projects, establish overall scope and budget able to influence at senior management level, take a strategic outlook and to manage change where necessary empowering project staff and others to strengthen their capacity and capability through mentoring and coaching.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills, able to work well under pressure both proactively and prioritize a challenging workload.
- Good communication skills: able to communicate complex concepts concisely to non-technical managers both in writing and verbally and to provide professional advice with confidence and tact. Motivating and developing teams, including performance management and appraisals.
- Collaborative approach to partnership working in a cross-cultural context; a team player, with strong problem-solving ability.
(Salary scale 3,500,000 – 4,000,000/=)
To be considered, your application must be received by 16.30 HOURS 16th MARCH 2021. The subject line of your job application email should mention the job position that you are applying as it appears in this advertisement. Failure to do that your application may not easily be retrieved. All correspondences and applications should be emailed to: [email protected]