Project: Sauti Mpya. CSOs-media partnership for amplifying youth and women’s voices (EU co-funded project – CSOs / Human Rights)**
Relate to: Country Representative**
Location: Dar es Salaam with frequent missions to Mbeya, Kigoma, Mtwara**
Contract type: 12 months renewable (including 3 months as probation period)**
Starting Date: ASAP**
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate’s profile**
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC is operational in Tanzania since 2010. It works in partnership with local organisations and in close cooperation with government authorities. The geographical areas of intervention have been up to now Njombe Region, Arusha Region and Dar es Salaam. WeWorld-GVC is committed to protect the rights of children, especially girls, to a quality and inclusive education and supports children, adolescents and youth victims of trafficking and sexual/domestic abuse and exploitation. WeWorld-GVC has been awarded a grant by the Delegation of European Commission in Tanzania, in the framework of the call for proposal EuropeAid/162969/DD/ACT/TZ (Lot 1 – CSOs) for the Action “Sauti Mpya. CSOs-media partnership for amplifying youth and women’s voices. [Sauti Mpya: new voices]. The Overall Objective of the Action is to contribute to women and youth’s freedom of expression, access to information and awareness on fundamental freedoms. The Action recognizes that journalists, the media and CSOs play different, but equally vital roles in creating an inclusive society that values self-expression and defends fundamental freedoms, and therefore has the Specific Objective to promote CSOs-media partnerships and dialogue with Local Authorities to increase media coverage of human rights issues and quality of reporting, with particular focus on challenges to women and youth’s rights.
Scope of the job
WeWorld-GVC is recruiting a Project Manager for the Action EC co-funded mentioned above, that is due to start in January/February 2020 and will last 24 months. The role requires to start-up and manage the Project, which involves 4 local partners, and will take place in 3 regions (Mbeya, Kigoma, Mtwara), and marginally in Dar as Salaam; in addition it is required to support the Country representative in expanding the action of WeWorld-GVC in Tanzania.
- Management of the Project Human resources
- Selection of Project Team
- Leading the Management Board comprising the Focal Points of the local partners
- Management and operational responsibility of the staff
- Management and facilitation of the handover in case of staff turnover
- Assessment of security measures implementation by the staff
- Management of project activity implementation
- Definition of the activities operational plan in line with the project design, timetable and its financial resources
- Coordination and supervision of the activities in the three target regions (Mbeya, Kigoma, Mtwara) and in Dar es Salaam
- Procurement of goods & services in compliance with both EC procedures
- Logistics: supervision of field offices, vehicles and other project assets
- Identification of possible budget and operational plan adjustments, and arrangement of the documentation required by the donor for approval
- Management of the operational and institutional relations with project’s partners and stakeholders as well as with the donor and local authorities
- Monitoring of project activities and expenditures
- Definition of the monitoring plan and specific tools to assess the progress of the project
- Monitoring of activities implementation and of results/objectives achievement through field visits, meetings with partners and stakeholders, data collection and analysis
· Financial/Administrative supervision: monitoring the financial flows of the project, actual and forecasted expenses against budget, WW-GVC double-entry accountancy system; cash and bank management; budget control and preparation of eventual requests of budget amendment; procurement procedures.
- Interim and final reporting
- Setting up and monitoring of periodic (monthly) internal reporting to be filled in by partner and project staff
- Drawing up of narrative and financial reports, interim and final (in collaboration with WeWorld-GVC local office and headquarters) to be sent to the donor in compliance with agreed procedures and time schedule.
- Project proposal writing
· Identification of new project opportunities – to be proposed to the Country Representative – to strengthen the intervention of WeWorld-GVC, especially in the thematic and geographic areas of the Project implementation;
· Carrying out of need assessments and project proposal writing, in close cooperation with the Country Representative and the Headquarters.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Master Degree in Social Sciences, e.g. Development Studies, Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Human Rights
- Strong administrative competencies and good knowledge of the Accountancy procedures of the main international donors.
- Ability to assess needs and write new project proposal
- MSOffice proficient user
· Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English (mandatory), spoken and written Italian (mandatory)
- At least five (5) years of relevant overseas experience in management of international cooperation projects funded by Institutional donors
- Proved experience in human rights projects
- Experience in management of human resource (recruiting, training and development)
- Previous experience in management of complex partnerships and in dealing multi-stakeholder settings (local authorities, institutions, donors, media, etc. at all levels).
- Proved experience in managing projects co-funded by European Commission
Skills and Abilities
- Capable of working in team and supporting staff and partners in all phases of the Project Cycle Management
- Excellent communication skill and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Willing to work in close cooperation with the partners, also through frequent and extended field visits
- Very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Problem-solver approach with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and creating efficiencies
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards; displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Experience in development projects in Tanzania will be considered a plus when establishing the ranking
- Experience on similar projects dealing with freedom of expression and media
- Knowledge of written and spoken Kiswahili
How to apply
Application deadline: 18th November, 2020
Application procedure: Send your CV and Cover Letter here with reference TA2. Only prelected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
The deadline for submitting the application is 18 November 2020