VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
The Monitoring, and Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer provides technical support, coordination and oversight the “Collective Action for Rights realization in extractives Industry in Tanzania – CLARITY” Project MEAL system and processes. The MEAL Officer will take the lead on ensuring the quality of: research and assessments including pre-project assessments, baselines, mid and end evaluations; design of log frames, results frameworks and MEL plans for project; capacity building of project teams to effectively implement the project management system including monitoring project performance; knowledge management and data use. So that the VSOT Country office has robust evidence base to design and deliver high quality programmes; measure, document and disseminate good practices and impact; produce quality communications materials; providing early warnings where performance is below target. If you are passionate about making a positive change for the most marginalised you are the ideal candidate!
Skills, qualifications and experience
Essential: Masters or Bachelor degree level in M&E or equivalent in social sciences and or social research;
• At least 3 years experience in a similar postion
• Extensive experience of monitoring, evaluation and/or research using participatory practices and quantitative and qualitative methodologies;
• Experience of, awareness of and commitment to gender equality and social inclusiveness in research, monitoring and evaluation processes;
• Experience in providing research, monitoring and evaluation support for programme design and proposal development.
• Experience in developing and implementing M&E systems and frameworks in an NGO environment.
• Sound understanding on formative/ summative design; impact evaluation design and implementation
• Strong computer skills and data management
• Skilled in handling data and the ability to analyse and synthesize data and evidence from different sources
• Experience of reporting to donors in the development sector
• Ability to build capacity of others, facilitation, coaching and training skills.
• Proven ability to manage, develop and motivate others within a team
• Experience of use of communications materials to influence others
• Fluency in spoken and written English
• Self-motivated, ability to use own initiative, flexibility
• Able to travel and work long hours, including work away from the home base for up to 30% of time, both within the country and occasionally internationally and some weekend and evening work.
• Work experience with INGOs and/or UN agencies
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
• Experience in using statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, EPI Info);
• Being up-to-date on the current international debate around development effectiveness and research and evaluation methodologies
• Experience of developing a communications strategies and materials
• Experience of using online communications methods (e.g. social media) for work purposes
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
Once you’re ready to apply, click on ‘make an application’ below to complete the online form.
The deadline for submitting the application is 13 November 2020