Position:Project Officer (1 post)
Reports to: Project Manager
Work station: Dar es Salaam
Apply by: August 25, 2020
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Project Officer to provide research support to the Wellcome Trust funded project named, “Avoiding Preventable Deaths through the Provision of Essential Treatment in Critical Illness in the COVID-19 Pandemic (POETIC)”.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting research activities at IHI.
- Actively get involved in project activities at IHI and in Tanzania.
- Secure ethical and other clearances for the project in Tanzania.
- Support procurement of items.
- Support the conduct of the literature review, Delphi consensus and outputs in Work Package (WP) 1.
- Support data collection for the current state of Essential Emergency and Critical Care (EECC) and estimates of the gap in resource availability for EECC in Tanzania in WP2.
- Support the WP2: leads with data, information and contacts required from Tanzania for the health economics work.
- Contribute to analysis and outputs from WP2.
- Support the WP3 activities in Tanzania, including collating documents and policies, conducting interviews, online group discussions and walk-throughs and aligning with the team in Kenya.
- Support the WP3: leads and contribute to analysis and outputs from WP3.
- Support the WP4: leads and contributing to outputs from WP4.
- Manage own research and administrative activities and records, within guidelines provided by senior colleagues.
- Contribute to wider project planning and troubleshooting.
- Support integration of the project with clinical and policy priorities in the country.
- Contribute to the design of research materials and make arrangements for data gathering.
- Gather, analyse, and present qualitative and quantitative data from a variety of sources.
- Work together with investigators and staff in partner countries (some travel to meetings / workshops may occur although this will depend on travel policies and national advice of country partners).
- Undertake literature reviews, Delphi consensus processes, questionnaire data collections and qualitative data and support the write up of results for publication in peer-reviewed journals and for presentation at conferences or public meetings.
- Support day-to-day administration of the research project and participation in team meetings and team activities
- Weekly planning of work duties including prioritisation of duties, communication of plans to the linemanager, PI and the rest of the team, ensure the plan is followed and tasks completed
- Early identification of issues preventing the completion of expected tasks, independent solving of the issues where possible, and timely communication if issues cannot be solved independently
- Keeping accurate records of all meetings attended and research activities conducted – for example meeting minutes and activity log-book
- Regular and effective communication to the line-manager, PI and rest of the team Other duties as assigned by the line-manager and PI
Qualification and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- A master’s is desirable.
- An understanding of qualitative research methodologies is desirable.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to manage own research and administrative activities especially during periods of working from home.
- Excellent communication skills: fluent in spoken and written English a must; fluent in spoken and written Kiswahili is desirable.
- Good computer skills, including excel, word and other software.
- In-depth knowledge of health systems and hospital care is desirable.
- Awareness of, and involvement in hospital health services or the COVID-19 response in Tanzania is desirable.
- Ability to follow methodologies and conduct research analysis and write-up results leading to publications.
- Able to work independently to solve problems, communicate necessary information in a timely manner and work effectively in a team.
- Able to start work immediately.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. The deadline for this application is 17.00hrs, 25th of August 2020
All application subject lines should read: RESEARCH OFFICER – POETIC
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam