Project Officer (Tanzania)
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. We support child victims of exploitation with education, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
TdH-NL in East Africa works within four child protection themes: the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC), the Worst Forms of Child Labour (WFCL), Child Trafficking and Migration (CTM), and Child Abuse (CA) in the form of Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights. Through collaboration with local civil society organisations (CSOs), TdH-NL implements development, humanitarian/relief and advocacy interventions in various parts of East Africa, supported by own TdH-NL funding and various foundations.
Our Vision: Terre des Hommes Netherlands works towards a world where all children have a decent life and can grow up to be independent adults. A world in which children are no longer exploited. We will continue our work until this is accomplished.
Our Mission: Terre des Hommes Netherlands prevents child exploitation, removes children from exploitative situations and ensures these children can develop themselves in a safe environment.
Objective of the function
As Project Officer Tanzania, you will work within the Country Team (CT) for Tanzania, and receive hierarchical leadership from the Programme Coordinator Tanzania. You will, in close collaboration and consultation with the country and regional team, advise and act on the development, implementation and monitoring of the various projects under the stop child exploitation programme in Tanzania. This will be done in close collaboration with, and support to, the project partners in Tanzania.
Coordination of organisation’s policy
• Coordinates and checks the execution of the work taking the necessary improvement measurements and informing affected partners.
• Analyses the project partners’ context and operational, organisational and project management, participates in planning of proposed projects, budgets, and evaluates whether the proposed project is in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ policies, Country Strategy and laid–down selection criteria such as formulated within the Calls for Proposals.
• Prepares the necessary documentation for approval of new and ongoing partnerships and project proposals according to the Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ guidelines.
• Advises whether or not to give the proposal further consideration and discuss the analysis with the country team, and others as appropriate, in preparation for final decision making.
Programme results for the partner and programme portfolio
• Co-implements projects ensuring quality, cost effectiveness and timely delivery of results.
• Supports and monitors the project partners through regular communications and programme visits and ensures that programme and finance commitments as per partner contracts are being fulfilled. Liaises with the Finance and Administration Officer regarding budgets, monitors partner expenditure.
• Ensures that all scheduled partner and project reports such as progress and financial reports are delivered and verified on time and that they are of good quality, according to Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ standards, analyses the received information and compiles the necessary reports for the Country Team.
• Supports the Marketing and Communication Officer at the Regional Office with information and materials for marketing and communication, e.g. for the newsletters.
• Informs relevant persons/organisations/institutions on support given to project partners, project activities and expected results. Maintains the database and regularly updates project documentation/ files for reference by all concerned.
Capacity building of partners
• Identifies together with project partners areas for further improvement of project partners on management and/or programme quality and defines frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational and project management.
• Guides/provides continuous coaching to project partners, gives capacity building training and gives direction so that they improve on quality of work, efficiency, effectiveness of the desired outputs and sustainability of results.
• Safeguards project quality by maintaining an overview of supported projects and evaluating the quality of work and results. Ensures that project partners follow the terms and conditions of the signed agreements; facilitates them to keep track of key factors in project management, implementation and monitoring of results.
• Maintains internal and external work contacts. If necessary, maintains contacts with relevant parties regarding their own area of interest.
• When delegated, actively participates in relevant meetings and maintains TdH-NL presence in networks.
• As part of the team, translates developments and situation specific information into thematic and country annual and strategic policies.
• Assists in the continuous assessment of child protection needs and gaps in the country in order to ensure that these are appropriately reflected in project strategies and interventions.
• Identifies new trends and developments in the area of child exploitation.
• As and when relevant, coordinates activities of assigned consultants for specific tasks, such as evaluations, etc.
• Performs any other duties as relevant for the country programme as and as can reasonably be expected from the position, in consultation with the country team.
Education, experience and skills required
• Bachelor’s degree, in development studies, project management, child rights or relevant fields (Masters degree will be an added advantage)
• Minimum of three years of experience in a similar position
• Experience with Child Rights based programming is an advantage
• Experience with Lobby & Advocacy with strong networking skills and experience
• Proven experience in capacity building of civil society organisations
• Knowledge of and experience in project cycle management, including the use of Theory of Change and other planning tools
• Experience with financial management
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and orally, in English and Kiswahili
• Planning, organising, cooperation, performance oriented
• High degree of taking initiative and working independently
A. Showing initiative
Showing the initiative to take action and get the job done before that is asked of you.
Level 2: Handles extra duties on own initiative outside own job description, identifies problem areas in task execution and makes improvement proposals.
B. Planning & Organising
Effective alignment of activities, time and resources to achieve objectives.
Level 1: Plans and organises own work in a logical way.
C. Performance orientation
Focused on goal setting and active achievement of results.
Level 1: Works in a goal-oriented manner and within a framework aimed at achieving results.
Can contribute to a collective result, even when there is no personal benefit at stake.
Level 2: Works together at own initiative to make a contribution to the achievement of shared objectives.
Contract Period: One year contract with a possibility of extension.
Please send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae by e-mail to: email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position, no later than Wednesday, 8th May 2019. For more information about this position, you can contact us through the same email address.
Please note that this is a national position. Applicants must be able to provide proof of the right to live and work in Tanzania.
Kindly also note that due to the expected large responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references