Public Health Advisor
The Public Health Advisor staff is responsible for supporting technically and strategically two key areas of malaria control this includes; vector control and the national monitoring and evaluation of the NMCP programme. The Public Health Advisor will be responsible to ensure quality and timely implementation of selected TEMT project interventions. This can be achieved through collaborating with NMCP, PO-RALG and R/CHMTs to routinely plan, execute, reflect and report on project related activities in a timely manner, and in accordance with the agreed workplan developed jointly with the MOHCDGEC and PO-RALG. The Public Health Advisor will ensure that implementation of all TEMT project activities are in line with the current Malaria Strategic Plan.
Minimum Qualification: Masters
Experience Level: Senior level
Experience Length: 5 years
Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (SWISS-TPH) has been mandated by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) to implement a project known as “Towards Malaria Elimination in Tanzania” (TEMT). This project runs for a duration of four years, from May 2020 to April 2024.
TEMT project aims at providing technical and strategic support to the Government of Tanzania and Zanzibar. The technical assistance will be specifically focused to the National Malaria Control
Programme (NMCP), the President’s Office Regional Administrative and Local Government (PO-RALG) and to the Zanzibar Malaria Elimination Programme (ZAMEP). The three key areas of support will be: vector control, malaria case management, and surveillance.
The project will benefit all Tanzanians (mainland and Zanzibar) suffering from the burden of malaria disease – particularly those in rural areas and those in the highest risk groups (pregnant women and children, individuals living with HIV). A strong focus will be put on gender-sensitive approaches to our work. Hence, the total number of beneficiaries is expected to be around 50 million.
TEMT project is currently in its first phase of implementation and is seeking to hire the following personnel:
Position: Public Health Advisor
Reports to: Project Team Leader
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam
Duration: One year (renewable)
a) Planning and budgeting:
- Participate in the preparation of annual and quarterly work plans, prepare quarterly advance requests for TEMT funding in the applicable format
- Provide technical support to malaria interventions to the National Malaria Control program (NMCP) and district authorities, whenever necessary
- Participate in quarterly work planning and progress reporting meetings with the Project Team Leader and the other Technical advisors
b) Project Implementation:
- Ensure development of LSM guidelines, training packages, M&E framework and operational plan so as to ensure standard LSM operation across 15 selected councils.
- Support NMCP and PO- RALG to map, plan and support the application of quality- controlled bio-larvicides according to national guidelines and standard operating procedures in 15 selected councils in all malaria risks strata.
- Support LSM System Integration into the DHIS2 so as to ensure that all data pertaining to LSM application is well recorded and performance is monitored over time.
- Build the capacity of Councils (CHMTs) and the private sector to plan, manage, implement, monitor and evaluate LSM. This will involve a partnership of players from local government, civil society and the private sector.
- Ensure that this LSM approach becomes a fixed and budgeted part of Councils operational plans and budgets.
- Establish regular documentation of challenges, corrective actions, lessons learnt with regard to LSM that are shared with all councils in the country
- Participate in all technical meetings related to vector control, and surveillance, monitoring and evaluation of malaria program.
- Assist the Technical Adviser working on Monitoring and evaluation tasks according to available time and experience.
c) Project Reporting:
- Routinely document on project success stories so as to share the knowledge and experience pertaining to LSM and malaria stratification to a wider audience, both scientific and non-scientific.
- Prepare and share quarterly financial burn rates for each interventional area as per the workplan
- Assist in the writing of semi – annual and annual reports to the donor and to Tanzanian authorities.
d) Other duties: the candidate can be requested by the TEMT Team Leader to perform other public health-related duties, in line the candidate’s competences.
- Master’s degree in Public Health or Master in vector biology and control or a related field
- At least five years of experience in implementing a public health project with solid experience in budgeting, planning and reporting on international funded projects.
- Excellent negotiation and collaborating skills
- Good knowledge of malaria vector control, and at least basic skills in monitoring and evaluation of health programs
- Good computer skills in the usual office software such as word processing (MS Word), and spreadsheets (MS Excel)
- Desirable: experience with statistical/analytical software packages
- Fluency in writing and speaking both English and Swahili languages
To apply: Send a letter of motivation with detailed CV in Word format or as a pdf document to email@example.com with subject title: Application Public Health Advisor
Application Closing Date: 30th October 2020
Only shortlisted persons will be contacted