Position: Research Officer
Reports to: Project leader (PL/PI)
Work station: Dar es Salaam
Apply by: March 15, 2020
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in
developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research,
training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological
sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
The research officer will be working under Environmental and Ecological Sciences Department which focus on
the ecology and transmission of infectious diseases through developing and testing of surveillance and control
measures, mosquito ecology and control, water sanitation and hygiene research. Specifically, the research
officer will be working in the ITB Project based in Dar es Salaam branch, conducting research activities on
mosquito borne diseases and their surveillances.
Duties and Responsibilities.
• To conduct researches based on mosquito borne diseases and its surveillance.
• Report on progress and outcomes of the projects at the end of every month by way of electronic or printed
• Meet Minimum Performance standards required for Research Officer
1) A minimum of 2nd authored article in a recognized peer reviewed journal per year
2) Once concept development or participate in proposal development and
3) Collaborative attitude.
• Present research findings at least twice a year at weekly thematic group meetings and at least once at a
national conference during the course of the project.
• Liaise with the community, government and other stakeholders as required.
• Undertake at least one professional development opportunity in grant writing, paper writing or data analysis
during the course of the project.
• Seek support from PI and other senior scientist to apply for a grant to support master’s program.
• Assist with any other duties as directed by project investigator.
Qualification and Experience
Holder of Bachelor of Science degree in Biology or Micro-Biology or any other related field.
Skills and Competencies
• Familiarity with different assays performed in the laboratory for example ELISA, PCR, Electrophoresis,
Microbiological analysis, and Parasites identification.
• Understanding Good Laboratory Practices that may result into availability of quality laboratory data
• Familiarity with researches conducted at IHI based on malaria vector control.
i. Mosquito identification, collection and rearing
ii. Identification of different mosquito trap: CDC Light trap, pit trap, resting buckets, MET etc.
iii. Conducted different insecticide testing: Cone bioassay, tunnel testing and bottle bioassay etc.
iv. Interpretation of results obtain from PCR reaction.
• Malaria diagnosis using MRDT strips and microscopic blood slides.
• Extraction of genetic materials (DNA and RNA) from living organisms.
• Research proposal and report writing.
• Computer skills (Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, STATA, R Studio and Internet).
• Adhere to IHI core values.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any
kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements
and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with
their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone
numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 1700hrs on March 15, 2020. All e-mail application subject lines
should read: Research Officer – ITB.
Please, note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam