Position: Research Officer – Intern (1 post)
Mosquito NET Project
Reports to: Project Leader
Work station: Ifakara
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Research Officer – Intern who will participate in research with MosquitoNET projects in Ifakara within the Environmental and Ecological Science (EHES) department. The Intern will participate in the publication of manuscript in internationally recognized peer reviewed journals. Assisted by the Research Scientist, the Intern will write research proposals for funding and will prepare project progress reports and cconduct presentations to EHES staff and IHI scientists when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities General Responsibilities
- Prepare progress reports and outcomes of project research activities from time to time, by way of electronic or printed monthly reports, and perform institutional presentations, in relevant IHI scientific conferences.
- Write and publish high-quality scientific papers on research work in peer-reviewed and internationally recognized journals.
- Ensure all samples collected during the studies are properly managed, stored and analysed as per the objective protocols.
- Ensure all project-related equipment are maintained in good order and custody
- To Develop and pursue a master’s research fellowship grant and university enrolment with the support from Team leader/Supervisor.
- Supervise the technical staff, volunteers and field workers working within the project.
- Ensure that all relevant quality control procedures and ethical guidelines are adhered to and that any deviations are properly documented and reported during all project activities and by requirements of good experimental practices.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the project leader.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics /Statistics or Biotechnology and Laboratory sciences.
- Fresh from university with 3.5 GPA and above.
Skills and Competencies
- Good writing skills, good scientific/investigational skills.
- Good communication skills, good interpersonal skills.
- Data analysis skills and Presentation skills.
- Mosquito identification skills.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scale
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters through e- mail/ recruitment portal together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail application subject lines should include: RESEARCH OFFICER – INTERN – MOSQUITONET. .
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview
The deadline for submitting the application is 19 March 2021