Position: Research Officer (Regulatory support) (1 post)
Reports to: Project leader (PL)
Work station: Bagamoyo
Apply by: March 15, 2020
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in
developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research,
training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological
sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
The Interventions and Clinical Trials Department conduct trials on drugs, diagnostics and vaccines for malaria,
tuberculosis, and HIV. Also pioneers multiple innovative ways to assess vaccine candidates through malaria
challenge studies with infectious sporozoites. It also providing technical support in other countries to start
and implementing clinical trials.
The Research officer will support Project Manager and the research team in managing documents, contracts
and supplies, and provide input regarding legal and regulatory issues that governs the conduct of the clinical
trial in Tanzania. The research officer will work very closely with the Project Manager and other Administrators
to ensure efficient implementation of the projects. To facilitate PIs interest in conducting Controlled Human
Infection Studies, Research officer will work with IHI community liaison officers, ethical and regulatory
authorities to assess the need to develop ethical and regulatory framework that will inform the review of
such protocols in the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist PM in development and submission of study documents and reports to IRB and Regulatory
• Assist PM and PI to review project details, including protocols, study reports and study budgets, for
• Support study team members with contract development and review, and liaising with IHI Grants and
Contracts department to facilitate legal reviews and creation of legal study required documents (MTA,
DTA, CTA etc.).
• Support PM in maintaining study compliance with Institutional Review Board, International and local
• Work with community liaison officers, Ethical and Regulatory authorities to assess the need of
developing ethical and regulatory framework for Controlled Human Infection studies.
• Assist PM in tracking, managing and coordinating study supplies in liaison with the administrators and
• Enters protocol specific data into required IRB and regulatory systems.
• Assists research team members in assessing and optimizing project workflows.
• Maintains understanding of the professional guidelines and code of ethics related to clinical research
conduct, and maintains ability to summarize and clarify these for study team.
• Regularly participates in unit meetings to discuss the regulatory status/issues of assigned protocols.
Qualification and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a science with combination of experience in administrative activities or Bachelor’s
degree in administrative studies with experience in health research, preferably clinical trials.
Skills and Competencies
• Ability to work in a clinical or research environment. Demonstrated ability to understand medical
• Proven ability to multi-task, maintain confidentiality and remain focused in a fast-paced environment.
Proven ability to be meticulous with details.
• Demonstrated impeccable interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team and
independently. Demonstrated professional appearance and manner as well as an excellent attendance
• Demonstrated advanced computer skills with Excel and Word.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any
kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements
and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with
their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone
numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. The deadline for this
application is 1700hrs on March 15, 2020. All e-mail application subject lines should read: Research
Officer – Regulatory Support.
Please, note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam