IITA-TZ-2021 – IRRI-004 -NRS- DAKAWA -MOROGORO
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) invites applications for the position of Researcher.
Background: The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is a nonprofit independent research and training organization. IRRI is a member of the Consultative Group of International Agricultural research (CGIAR) Consortium. IRRI develops and promotes new rice technologies such as high yielding varieties, climate and stress resilient varieties and technologies that offer the promise of increased productivity with optimum resources and hence ensure the welfare of farmers.
Duty Station: The position will be based Dakawa – Morogoro, Tanzania.
Criteria for Success / Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in plant breeding
Skills and knowledge
- Familiarity with quality control tools
- Proven technical proficiency in conducting research experiments preferably in the field
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Plan the implementation of routine experiment(s) in the field of Plant Breeding to support projects goals of the Organizational Unit’s (OU’s) research objectives related to breeding
- Coordinate with collaborators on their research activities as required
- Plan the support/manpower needed and set up work schedule
- Prepare the material and equipment needed based on research outline provided
- Assist in applying methods/techniques that guarantee the success of the experiments
- Assist in supervising the implementation of experiments in the field of Plant Breeding
- Oversee the work of research technician and/or contract workers to ensure that research activities are implemented according to plan and specific standards
- Coordinate with collaborating OUs the timely supply of material needed
- Contribute to the preservation of research areas and direct the maintenance of technical equipment (repair and replacement)
- Collect and analyze research data in the field of Plant Breeding
- Collect and process data to its required form
- Identify inconsistencies in the data collection and/or missing information
- Carry out graphical and basic statistical data analysis
- Update database for storage and retrieval of information/data
- Contribute to the preparation of reports and publications, and presentations in the field of Plant Breeding
- Provide appropriate data and information about experiment(s)
- Contribute to manuscripts/write —ups for annual reports and publications in referred journals as well as
- presentation/posters for national and international conference
- Support the training of scholars, partners and on-the-job trainees as required Act as resource person for training courses and visitors
- People Management
- Supervise the work of Research Technicians
- Provide feedback on performance of Research Technician to immediate supervisor
- Assist Students and Trainees
7 Perform any other duties as assigned by Supervisor from time to time
The duration of contract for the position is two years. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications: Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to [email protected]
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 March 2021
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.