Position Title: SAFETY OFFICER (2 POST)
CONTEXT AND PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Safety and Training Officer is to provide visible and high-level safety support to Shanta Mining Co. Ltd (SMCL) employees, ensure the safe and efficient operation of SMCL operation and associated infrastructure.
ACCOUNTABILITIES & AUTHORITIES OF THE ROLE
Safety Officer has the following accountabilities and authorities:
- Promotion of HSE throughout area of accountability:
- To promote occupational health and safety within the mine site, section and other areas of safety accountability.
- Advise management on how to increase worker participation in health and safety programs raising employee morale and reducing possible incidents.
- Attend daily departmental toolbox talks, committee meetings and to create safety awareness among all employees of the mine.
- Maintain a proactive approach to all aspects of operational safety and encourage teamwork within the operations.
Inspection and reporting on HSE compliance:
- Conduct inspections and write reports informing management which area may not be in compliance with company polices and legal requirements in order to gain support for addressing these areas.
- To ensure that machinery and equipment meet appropriate safety mine regulations, through regular inspections and testing of such equipment.
- To check that personnel protective equipment supplied to the employees is being used in workplaces according to regulations and mine standards.
- Investigate all injuries, incidents, near miss and unsafe conditions reported, study possible causes and recommended remedial actions to management.
- Carry out daily inspections in all your areas of accountability and report same to departmental managers and supervision. Ensure regular inspections are conducted within all mining areas and supporting maintenance facilities including those manned by contractors.
- Ensure accident/incident investigations are expediently conducted and documented appropriately in relation to seriousness and high potentiality.
- Provide on a monthly basis, a detailed report of activities and statistics conducted during the period to the Safety Superintendent / Safety & Environment Manager.
- Analyze work environments and design programs to control, eliminate and prevent diseases or injury caused by all health and safety factors including ergonomic factors that involve the impact of equipment design on workers comfort or fatigue.
- To test and identify work areas for potential accidents and health hazards, to help develop implement appropriate control measures and also by employee participation/involving and observing their work as well as inspecting elements in their work environment such as lighting tools and equipment.
- Carry out a risk assessment with Managers involvement in all Mining operation at least once quarterly.
Hazardous substance control:
- To measure and control all hazards substances used on the mine through provision storage and stocking, handling and disposal.
Internal auditing on HSE:
- Develop and implement internal audit program in accordance to Safety Man-
REQUIRED SKILLED KNOWLEDGE
- Certificate of Secondary Education
- Current and valid driver’s license required.
- Emergency Response Team experience and qualifications will be highly regarded.
- OSHAand NEBOSH Courses
- A minimum of 3 – 4 years of Mining operations experience
- Currently or previously employed in a mining operation as a HSE Coordinator.
- Extensive experience in relation to installation of mine services including vent ducting, pipes and pumps.
Must have knowledge of:
Good understanding of HSE ground conditions.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are invited to submit their Resumes and certificates (indicating the Position Title in the subject) to:
HR Director, Shanta Mining Company Limited
P.O. Box 79408,
Dar es Salaam
Or via Email to: Recruitment@shantamining.co.tz
The deadline for submitting the application is 06 February, 2021