Secretary Job Opportunity at UNESCO Dar es Salaam, Deadline 23 January 2020
Post Number : 6TZFSC0712RP
Grade : G-4
Parent Sector : Sector For Administration and Management (ADM)
Duty Station: Dar-es-Salaam
Job Family: Administration
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates Only nationals of Tanzania may apply for this post
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 23-JAN-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the authority and the direct supervision of the Head of UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office, the incumbent is responsible for the smooth and efficient functioning of the Head of Office’s secretariat.
The incumbent of the post will undertake the following responsibilities:
• Ensure the efficient functioning of the office of the Head of Office by preparing daily agenda, scheduling meetings and appointments with government authorities, institutions, etc.
• Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail; follows up on impending actions; routes information and queries for response as appropriate. Respond or draft responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications.
• Provide secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences etc.; prepare invitation letters; compile and distribute working documents and other material; take notes of internal meetings; make travel and hotel arrangements and prepare travel authorizations/ claims for the supervisor and/or the participants; compile, calculate and prepare cost estimations; prepare standard limited components of budget/ expenditure.
• Maintain and update the Office electronic and paper records/files (e.g. information databases, mailing lists, participant lists); classifies and codes material; provides information to colleagues on records management standards and practices; and facilitates file transfers and retrievals. Create spreadsheets and presentations; prepare graphs, charts and other visual aids.
• Ensure the liaison between the Head of Office and his/her staff and timely communication with UNESCO Headquarters on the follow-up of activities and relevant administrative issues.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
• Completed secondary, technical or vocational school.
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in secretarial and/or administrative tasks in administration services.
Skills and competencies
• Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities, including written and oral communication,
• Good IT skills and good knowledge of standard office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc),
• Ability to work in international teams,
• Initiative, service-oriented, and accuracy,
• Discretion and ability to deal with sensitive issues,
• Flexibility to adjust to different working schedules and priorities.
• Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written).
• Specialized training/certification in secretarial, administrative or related field.
Skills and competencies
• Knowledge of UNESCO rules, administrative procedures and standard practices.
• Good Knowledge of Swahili
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website and UNESCO’s career website.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.