Join us in our efforts to end the HIV epidemic in Tanzania. Be part of the winning team to advance global health and save the lives of people living with HIV.
About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T provides care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS, and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe and Ruvuma for VMMC services only. The program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below:
Job Title : Senior Accountant
Location : Mbeya
Duration : 12 Months (with an option to renew based on the availability of funding and need)
This position is responsible for day to day transactional accounting operations of HJFMRI-T operations. The Senior Accountant will serve as a point person for accounting and provide supervision, coaching, and support to program staff and any other junior accountant in the department. He / She is responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable accounting policies and procedures, laws, and regulations requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and supervision of other department accountants (s)
- Ensuring daily accounting activities are executed with the right ethical practices.
- Perform accounting activities to include financial reports, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, and other general accounting functions.
- Ensure the document workflow’s efficiency within the department from the point request is made, approval, final payment, and reconciliation.
- Maintain, monitor accounts, and finance helpdesk to ensure that issues raised by other staff are responded to and resolved timely
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash accounts monthly to be reviewed by the accounting manager.
- Maintain robust financial reports in compliance with organizations’ policies and procedures.
- Responsible for GL entries and accurate recordkeeping to support entries and transactions.
- Ensures timely monthly and annual accounting close.
- Resolves accounting issues, concerns, and questions on time to ensure smooth and efficient program operations and to report.
- Provides monthly accounting reports to finance and accounting staff for review.
- Assist in Payroll preparation monthly, payroll reconciliations, and resolving all payroll related issues.
- Reviews vs. prepare monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts.
- Trains project accounting staff on HJFMRI procedures and policies.
- Assist with the preparation of financial reports for the US Government, institutional funders, and private donors as needed
- Respond to routine HQ accounting-related inquiries
- Provides support for internal and external audit support
- Review the completeness and accuracy of regional office and country office monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports package submissions, resolve related problems and provide guidance to the country offices to resolve them appropriately.
- Maintain vendor files and related accounting records, such as leases and contracts
- Manage accounts payables, receivables, payroll, travel advances, and international wires
- Supports or leads on special projects as needed.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by the accounting manager, in support of the team.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field.
- ACCA/CPA (T) is an added advantage
- Five years minimum accounting and auditing experience, preferably in a nonprofit or international development environment
- Four years of supervision experience in mid to large accounting department
- Knowledge of and familiarity with accounting systems/packages
- Experience managing staff
- Ability to use good judgment and professionalism; experience in decision-making
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and experience with QuickBooks accounting software
- Experience with US government regulations a plus
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to meet communicated schedules and deadlines
- Strong skills in internal controls and accounting standards
- Ability to function effectively both autonomously and on complex/sensitive issues and projects.
- High level of professionalism, transparency, and integrity in the overall production of work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Willingness to abide by all ethics and compliance policies of HJFMRI
HOW TO APPLY
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or sent through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted.
The deadline for submitting the application is December 31, 2020. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description above, will not be considered.