The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is a strategic institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for coordinating the development of human resources and research in the EAC Higher Education Institutions. The main objectives of IUCEA are to (i) facilitate networking among universities in East Africa, and with universities outside the region; (ii) provide a forum for discussion on a wide range of academic and other matters relating to higher education in East Africa; and (iii) facilitate maintenance of internationally comparable education standards in East Africa so as to promote the region’s global competitiveness in higher education.
In order to fulfill its current mandate and to meet all its objectives, IUCEA now wishes to recruit a qualified person for the positions of Senior Corporate and Public Communications Officer.
Online applications are invited from qualified individuals from the EAC Partner States. Candidates from South Sudan are encouraged to apply. The recruitment will be subjected to the EAC Quota System.
Description of the Positions
SENIOR CORPORATE AND PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (P2)
Section: Corporate Communications and Public Relations
Job Reports to: Executive Secretary
Job Supervises: None
Job Purpose: The job holder will promote and disseminate information of IUCEA to stakeholders, the general public and the international community in order to build promote and maintain IUCEA’s positive corporate image.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiate, develop and manage IUCEA’s public relations and corporate communication plans and production of Annual Reports
- Liaise with user divisions/units provide support in the facilitation of conferences, education exhibitions, meetings/forums
- Gather accurate and relevant information necessary for the publication of IUCEA Brochures, journals, in-house newsletters and other relevant literature; and facilitate the design, development, production and distribution of the same
- Initiate a periodically news letter
- Manage the communication channels including media and any stakeholders in relation to the project brand for the component of IUCEA;
- Manage the social media networks.
- Create content, monitor and manage conversations to promote and ensure reputational risk mitigation for IUCEA.
- Appropriate dissemination of information related to the success stories of the project and ensure appropriate packaging to attract the required stakeholder;
- Help in development and improvement of the website of IUCEA with events (upcoming and completed), activities and major related partnerships at the different areas;
- Develop and update the IUCEA Communication Strategy with the communications plan for the Institution that covers all activities;
- Ensures development, operationalization and maintenance of an on-line website and portal for the IUCEA, with frequent regular updates on key elements like events, partnerships etc..;
- Collect, collate and standardize the necessary information for periodically updating the IUCEA website
- Monitor the media, lobby groups and maintain close contact and cordial relations with regional and international media to sustain a positive image of IUCEA
- Organize and coordinate corporate functions/events and attend to all protocol matters
- Prepare required speeches, briefs, reports, flyers, brochures, advertisements, and messages to enhance the objectives of the institution
- Maintain harmonious internal and external contacts with IUCEA’s stakeholders
- Handle external relations and visitors’ services, including arranging visits to IUCEA and prepare responses to all external inquiries and media queries
- Ensure coordination, synergies and coherence with communications officers of the partner institutions of the EAC and beyond.
- Performing any other duty as the Executive Secretary may from time to time direct
Key Performance Indicators
- Public Communication Strategy, communication policy and procedures developed and updated periodically
- Resource packs, e.g. brochures, journals, in house newsletters, promotional materials and annual reports developed in the year
- Number and reports of educational forums and conferences coordinated for IUCEA
- Updated contacts inventory/directory of stakeholders, partners and media in the region and internationally
Minimum Job Requirements
- Masters degree in Journalism, Mass Communication or related discipline from a recognized university
- Training in Public Relations will be an added advantage
- Minimum eight (8) years working in Public Relations/ Communication: three (3) years must be at senior level in a reputable organization.
Excellent communication ability in English is essential and good working knowledge of an additional official language of the East African Community (Kiswahili or French ) would be an advantage, must be able to manage diversity, conflict and change. Have proposal writing, Creative report/speech writing and presentation, conceptual, analytical, public relations, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, planning, negotiation, networking, judgment, and decision-making skills. S/He must be computer literate and proficient in MS Office suite and common desktop publishing software such as CorelDraw, Publisher etc.
3.0 Tenure and Remuneration
As per the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations, the successful applicant for this post shall serve for a five year term renewable once. A comprehensive remuneration package commensurate with the EAC Professional Job Grades and Diplomatic status shall be offered to the suitable candidate. Additional details on these packages may be obtained from the undersigned.
4.0 Age Limit
- Applicants should not be more than 55 years as the EAC retirement age is 60 years.
- The successful candidate shall be notified of his/her appointment by the 2nd week of December, 2021 to give him/her enough time to also give notice to his/her employer.
6.0 Submission of Applications
The deadline for submission of application forms to the IUCEA Secretariat is 20th September, 2021. Application forms should be filled online accompanied with the following:
- Certified copies of the applicant’s degree awards
- Up to date and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- Addresses of three referees, one of which should be of the current immediate supervisor.
- Any other relevant supporting documents
Complete the online form on this link https://bit.ly/3yZqbfp and submit application documents electronically to the following address marked as “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF SENIOR CORPORATE AND PUBLIC COMMUNICATION OFFICER”:
The Executive Secretary
Inter-University Council for East Africa
P.O. Box 7110, Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 256 251/2
E-mail: [email protected]
Because of Covid 19 pandemic, IUCEA will not accept hand delivered applications. Applicants must complete application forms as indicated above.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.