Senior Market Shaping Specialist
Results for Development (R4D) is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Senior Market Shaping Specialist to play an important strategic leadership role in leading the Market Shaping practice’s Tanzania-based team. The Market Shaping practice (MSP) is dedicated to transforming access to, and improving appropriate use of, essential and life-saving products in a holistic and sustainable manner. We develop, iterate on and support catalytic implementation of long-lasting solutions at the global and country levels to address challenges identified by country partners and backed by rigorous analyses. We’ve applied our expertise to achieve more than a billion dollars in savings in countries and supported improved access to high-quality products in health (spanning the HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, maternal, newborn and child health markets) as well as in nutrition and education.
MSP projects include:
Transforming markets for maternal, newborn, and child health medicines and devices
Increasing access to childhood pneumonia treatments through iterative market shaping approaches in close collaboration with government partners and other key market actors.
Identifying underlying market challenges and opportunities to address severe acute malnutrition
Title: Senior Market Shaping Specialist
Reports to: Program Director
Term: 2 years, renewable
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
As a Senior Market Shaping Specialist on this high-impact team, you will:
Lead internal and external partner engagement
- Actively cultivate new relationships and effectively manage key ongoing relationships with partners in Tanzania, including the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Medical Stores Department (MSD), Pharmacy Council, Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA), the President’s Office – Regional Administrator and Local Government (PORALG / TAMISEMI,) National Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), supply chain actors, NGOs, private sector importers, distributors, wholesalers, and associations, and donor agencies and foundations
- Develop knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination and uptake of our work
- Represent Tanzania aspects of the MSP portfolio within R4D, and actively collaborate with others in the organization
- Provide day-to-day thought and technical leadership
- For the Tanzania MSP portfolio , lead the structuring of analytical problems and the development of technical qualitative and quantitative analytical methodologies and products, including through coaching team members on analytics
- Draw insights from analyses and lead development of high quality and actionable government, donor and partner-facing documents
- Identify creative ways to expand current work in Tanzania, in close coordination with MSP and R4D leadership, and effectively lead development of relevant products
- Effectively manage high-impact projects and Country Office operations
- Provide day-to-day management of current projects, ensuring effective execution of all programmatic workstreams, including developing market shaping strategies and catalytic implementation approaches in Tanzania to achieve maximum impact in a sustainable way
- Provide strategic leadership on the execution and continuous improvement of country office operations and finances, including ensuring compliance with Tanzanian laws and R4D policies and procedures
- Develop project work plans and ensure timely execution of activities, including proactively and creatively managing problems that arise and anticipating ways to avoid them
- Lead process streamlining and efficiency improvement initiatives in the team
- Provide people management, by providing direction, input, and coaching to team members based in Tanzania
- Contribute to the continued evolution of a positive and collaborative team culture
You’re a great fit if you are:
- Genuinely passionate about markets-based approaches to drive sustainable impact
- A strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, able to vary one’s style based on the audience and distill complex concepts into clear messaging,
- Energized by managing and executing on complex projects in global contexts, specifically in low- and middle-income countries
- Highly analytical, and a structured and creative problem solver
- A culturally sensitive relationship manager who is enthusiastic about supporting team members’ professional growth
- Collaborative, approachable, and invested in enabling a positive working environment
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally, per project need
Your experience should include:
- Master’s degree in public health, public policy, business/management or other related advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience. Preference is given to candidates with experience conducting market analysis, developing product introduction/scale-up strategies, and/or expanding access to healthcare, specifically in low- and middle-income countries
- Track record of building trust, forging partnerships, and conducting advocacy across a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments and across public and private sector actors; experience working closely with the Tanzanian government is particularly relevant
- Demonstrated experience leading the development of high-quality analysis from conceptualization to completion and leveraging that analysis to drive action by decision-makers for ultimate impact
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to develop and deliver compelling presentations
- Experience managing teams across multiple workstreams and enthusiastic about supporting team members’ professional growth
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, open-structure, multicultural environment
- Significant experience in Tanzania or East Africa strongly preferred
- Fluency in Kiswahili a plus
Founded in 2008, R4D has grown rapidly during its first decade, with a diverse set of programs in global health, education, and nutrition and funders that include bilateral donors, multi-lateral development institutions, and private foundations. The current annual budget is $30M and the organization has offices in Washington, DC in the United States (140 staff), Ethiopia, Tanzania and the UK. Outside of the U.S., we employ 21 staff in ten countries.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
About the Market Shaping Practice:
How do we increase access to a cheap drug that could save millions of children’s lives yet remains widely unavailable in certain markets? This is among the unique and powerful questions R4D’s Market Shaping practice answers on a daily basis. Using practical and business-driven approaches — from increasing market transparency to increase manufacturers’ engagement, to improving demand forecasting to prevent stockouts, to increasing competition to lower prices, to developing purchasing and value chain strategies, and to crafting cost-effectiveness and financing gap analyses — our work ensures that millions of lives are saved and improved in a sustainable manner through more efficient markets essential health, nutrition and education products.
If our work ignites your imagination, we’d love to tell you more and explore how we can work together!