Senior MERV Intern – EnDEV III Programme (Coast, Central and Northern Zone)
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The overall goal of SNV’s engagement in the Renewable Energy (RE) sector in Tanzania is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and peri-urban people by accelerating the dissemination and use of renewable energy products and services. SNV Tanzania is involved in three renewable energy sub-sectors: Domestic Biogas, Biomass Cooking Energy, and Solar with a variety of projects and cross-cutting initiatives.
SNV is the implementing agency for the Energising Development (EnDev) program in Tanzania. EnDev Tanzania focuses on two key project components: the development of markets and sustainable supply for improved cookstoves (ICS) as well as for small plug-and-play solar (picoPV) technology in rural and peri-urban areas in the Lake Zone, Northern Zone and throughout the Central and Southern Zones of Tanzania.
SNV began implementation of the EnDev program in April of 2013 with the Tanzania Improved Cook Stoves (TICS) project. TICS works to build upon existing local ICS supply chains to initiate the production, distribution and sales of clean and marketable ICS options that meet the need of rural households. The project works closely with existing stove entrepreneurs to realise improved performance, quality and marketability of cook stove options. Through regular and verifiable sales monitoring undertaken by the program, emerging ‘cook stove champions’ are identified and availed access to advanced and individualized products and services in business development, marketing and production scaling.
Performance based approaches employed in the EnDev Tanzania programme are an innovative way to unlock the potential of local entrepreneurs by providing them the means and flexibility to make rural markets work. However, clear monitoring and evaluation practices extending to verifiable and auditable results documentation are required to ensure the equitable and effective delivery of all performance-based supports that are provided throughout the programme. At the same time, EnDev intends to orient its interventions based on a solid understanding of the context on the ground, for which market intelligence research is a critical element of the programme. To strengthen the EnDev Tanzania programme as it continues to geographically scale in new rural markets.
In the third stage of the project (Quarter 4 of 2019-2022) the project aims at expanding its geographical area in six new regions, use BCC approach to trigger demands for the JIKO MATAWI, use cash incentives for the Champions of Champions to increase their production and sales capacity and hence transform their businesses from family into small/ Medium/ semi industrial levels, and also continue working with its core producers in 14 regions of Tanzania.
Overview of the Position:
SNV through this new project is wishing to invite interested Tanzanians to work as a senior intern from March 2020 to March 2021 to assist on initiating the project activities in new areas and facilitate support on various activities in core areas.
Responsibilities Of The Position
- Support BCC interventions: Work closely with BCC coordinator and BCC Advisor and take the lead to ensure that producers are equipped with all the BCC materials, monthly dialogues with producers are conducted to remind them on sales tips, pitch techniques as well as supporting them to strengthen their associations and organising seasonal pop-up markets.
- Facilitate project documentation: Develop best practises and case stories by assessing the changes that the project has brought though the BCC interventions undertaken for targeted beneficiaries as knowledge product to be shared across a wider audience.
- Linkages of ICS Supply Chain Actors: Facilitate linkages and relations between local rural and urban improved cook stove supply chain actors (producers, distributors, retailers) to develop and validate market access of appropriate cooking technologies to target consumer markets.
- Facilitate TICS champions to access Investments and Results Based Incentive (RBIs): Initiating and follow up on procurement of IR for Champions & RBIs and facilitate delivery of the same and document delivery forms.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification – Collaborate with MERV advisor to support timely M&E work plans delivery for regular sales data collection, producer assessment, customer verification, risk monitoring and reporting. Participate in Monitoring and Evaluation of project activities, while actively being engaged in the day-to-day implementation of programme objectives. This include but not limited to sales point monitoring and verification ultimately availing the dissemination of tailored ICS producer support packages.
- Coordinate enabling environment (TAREA partnership with SNV): The senior intern will work closely with Enabling Environment workstream manager to coordinate the meetings and ensure clear roles and responsibilities of key partner (Tanzania Renewable Association (TAREA) are implemented well and in cost effective manner.
- Network and Relationship Building – Build and maintain effective relationships with a). New and core producers/ stove enterprises in the project implementation areas such the Lake, West Lake, Southern highlands and Western Zones.
- Support meetings and training’s processes– In collaboration with Advisors- Intern will organize and prepare for the trainings processes including but not limited to: Training/meeting budget, Travel logistics, Venue, participant’s invitation to the training/meeting, participant’s registration, MPESA registration etc.
- University degree in social studies or Business administration or marketing or gender studies or communication or media or development studies etc. with minimum of 2 years of experience.
- Should have relevant technical knowledge, skills and extensive work experience in: Renewable energy and climate change, Behavior change and communication, business management and marketing, trainings, community capacity building as well as project monitoring and Evaluation.
- Experience in undertaking similar work at local (community) level experience.
- Extensive understanding of business, marketing and development issues.
- In depth understanding of project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation framework, reporting and communication strategies/ tools.
- Demonstrated experience implementing visibility communications.
- Demonstrated experience working with stakeholders to build strategic partnerships.
Desired Skills And Attitude
- Able to work well in a team environment with colleagues.
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English and Swahili languages.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing changing
Contract Type: Internship Agreement
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Expected Start Date: 3rd March 2020
Information Duty Station: Dar es Salaam (with frequent field travels)
Working At SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Energy experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How To Apply
The vacancy is for internal and external Candidates and it will active up to 10th February, 2019 and all application should be through Smart Recruiters on the following link https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV
Apply For This Job –Click here