Job Opportunity at BBC Media Action, Senior Policy Adviser – Gender Equality & Social Inclusion (GESI)
Job Title: Senior Policy Adviser – Gender Equality & Social Inclusion (GESI)
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Special Requirements: Right to work in Tanzania
Reports to: Country Director, Tanzania
Contract: Full-time, 24 moinths with possible extension
Salary: Highly competitive within Tanzania, NGO market rates
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
“The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.”
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development organisation, uses the power of media and communication to inform, connect and empower people around the world, helping them to shape their own lives. BBC Media Action is independent from the BBC, but shares the BBC’s fundamental values and has partnerships with the BBC World Service and national broadcasters that reach millions of people in developing countries.
Overview of the role
Gender equality and social inclusion are key elements of the projects in our portfolio and we are looking for a qualified and experienced expert to help us lead in this field. The Senior Policy Adviser – GESI will lead BBC Media Action’s efforts in Tanzania to design projects and create content that is always gender-sensitive and where possible truly gender-transformative, and also makes the greatest possible contribution to mitigating other elements of social exclusion such as disability and age. The Senior Policy Adviser will ensure all project development and project implementation is in line with BBC Media Action’s Gender Equality Approach and Strategy 2016-2020.
The successful candidate will be expected to work on all BBC Media Action’s current and upcoming projects in Tanzania. This is a cross-cutting role, but the senior adviser will be expected to spend a large proportion of his/her time initially working on our Niambie project, as it moves into a new phase with the aim of engaging and informing millions of young women and men around gender equality.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Providing GESI technical advice on the development, implementation, evaluation and review of BBC Media Action projects in Tanzania.
- Supporting the development and implementation of theories of change, communication strategies, and knowledge resources in GESI to increase the sophistication and effectiveness of the organisation’s work on gender equality and social inclusion.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with gender and social inclusion focal points in the Government of Tanzania and among existing and potential development partners, civil society organisations and media houses, and representing the organisation’s GESI approach at meetings and workshops as required.
- Leading organisational capacity-strengthening and learning on GESI, including through the provision of face-to-face support and training in Tanzania and supporting inter-country cooperation and the documentation of global organisational experience and learning.
- Support the development and publication of materials on media, communication and GESI in the Tanzanian context.
- Contributing to the development of new projects, including potentially drafting key parts of funding proposals.
- Understand and comply with BBC Media Action’s Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- At least seven years’ proven practical experience working on gender equality and social inclusion in international development, with a strong relevant academic foundation, including experience of providing effective GESI technical advisory support to development organisations.
- Proven ability to work effectively with government from the national to the local level, including developing new working relationships where necessary and being adaptive and flexible when governance contexts change.
- At least three years’ experience in designing and delivering effective training and mentoring to diverse groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a capacity to engage with diverse internal and external stakeholders, often remotely, and an aptitude for creating connections across teams.
- Strong understanding of the international development system, particularly of major GESI initiatives in the region and recent developments in safeguarding vulnerable people.
- Practical knowledge of development donors’ policies and processes, particularly in the field of gender – a proven understanding of contemporary feminist international development policies and safeguarding policies would be a considerable advantage.
- Strong writing skills, with a proven capacity to provide clear analysis on issues of gender equality and social inclusion, and experience of developing successful funding proposals.
- Capacity to understand and engage with relevant external research and policy agendas and the ability to link these creatively to the programming and thinking of BBC Media Action.
- Understanding of, and experience working with, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and tools – experience using the logical framework approach would be particularly advantageous.
- Educated to at least degree level in a relevant field.
- Fluency in Swahili and English.
- Understanding of the principles of social and behaviour change communication.
- Experience of working with media and communication to contribute to gender equality and/or social inclusion.
- Experience of providing technical advice to a media and/or communication project.
- Line-management and/or senior management experience.
- Experience managing international development projects.
- Knowledge of BBC (or equivalent international standard) editorial values, aims and objectives, and an ability to apply these to development projects.
- A postgraduate qualification in gender, public policy, conflict management, international development, comparative politics, human rights and/or media and communication.
Closing date: 22nd December 2019
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: email@example.com – Please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send by Sunday 22nd December 2019. Only applicants with separate cover letters will be considered.