The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Tanzania is part of the AKF-East Africa regional structure that supports programmes in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. In Tanzania, AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectorial initiatives that includes programmes in inclusive economic development, health, nutrition, early childhood development, education and civil society strengthening.
AKF is looking for well qualified professionals to fill the following position.
Senior Project Officer – Tanzania
AKF is implementing a regional partnership across four countries: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Mozambique. The overall objective is to improve systemic, gender-sensitive responses to overcome health, economic and social vulnerabilities in Eastern Africa through diverse interventions targeting 140,000 individuals (60% female) directly, and 604,000 indirectly. The recruit will support on the Tanzania component of the programme which seeks to strengthen coping strategies for vulnerable communities and support youth employability skills, as well as social, innovative entrepreneurship. The position will be based in Lindi with frequent field travel (at least 50% travel). This position reports to the National Project Coordinator and collaborates with core country staff, M&E officer, partners, local government authorities, technical advisors, and consultants.
The Senior Project Officer will be responsible for:
- Conducting project activities at field level, according to the laid-out project objectives, targets, and timelines as assigned by the National Project Coordinator.
- Supporting community mobilization, engagement, and assessment of needs to ensure achievement of project objectives.
- Coordinating a diverse range of community level stakeholders, including local government authorities, for the successful co-implementation of activities at field level.
- Facilitating engagement of target communities by technical partners as needed.
- Participating in strengthening the MERL function through improved collection and effective use of data, including facilitating and reporting on community response to activities.
- Developing timely and quality progress reports, public information items and/or publications for the project.
- Providing up-to-date information on the progress of the project implementation at the field level including successes, risks, and challenges with sound recommendations for response.
- Promoting gender-sensitive, inclusive, and active community participation in the development and implementation of the project activities.
- Maintaining a good working relationship with the local government authority and other community leaders as well as key local partners.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Degree in social studies, education, community development, entrepreneurship or business management, or any other relevant qualification.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in community development field tapping into community resources and linkages.
- Experience working with community savings groups, women’s organizations, youth groups/associations, and young entrepreneurs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and facilitate community partnerships.
- Competent in the use of MS Office software (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, etc).
- Knowledge of digital data collection tools and digital financial services is an advantage.
- Proven ability to design community mobilization, sensitization, awareness raising and action activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – proficiency in English and Kiswahili is mandatory.
- Self-motivated, good organization and management skills including a demonstrated ability to prioritize workloads.
- Ability to work with multiple tasks, demands and deadlines, with a positive and constructive attitude under minimal supervision.
- Able to learn from and adapt to complex situations.
- Able to work independently, remotely, and within a team.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV including contacts of three references, by 16th March 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“AKF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.”
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org).
About the Agency
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), alongside its sister AKDN agencies, has implemented innovative, community-driven solutions to development challenges for over 50 years. It brings together human, financial and technical resources to address some of the challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalised communities in the world. Special emphasis is placed on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. It works primarily in six areas: Agriculture and Food Security; Economic Inclusion; Education; Early Childhood Development; Health and Nutrition; and Civil Society.
The deadline for submitting the application is 16 March 2021