Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor, Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), for a potential 5-year US Centers for Disease Control (CDC)-funded, Sustained Health Systems Strengthening (SHSS) Project in Tanzania. This project will provide technical assistance (TA) to the Government of Tanzania (GOT) in the form of capacity building of Public Health Institutions (PHIs) to implement and sustain quality health services, focusing on improving information systems, human resources capacity, financial management, and data use and integration, as part of achieving HIV epidemic control.
The Senior CQI Advisor will hold primary responsibility for achieving project results in the respective technical area including increased uptake and implementation in all facilities of the latest PEPFAR and WHO approved policies, guidelines and strategies for HIV prevention, care and treatment utilizing quality improvement (QI) approaches and tools; increased capacity/competence at all levels on the use of data for HIV/AIDS quality and performance improvement; documentation and systems to sustain performance improvement efforts, and increase accountability of QI standards and processes by district and regional teams in Tanzania.
This position is subject to project award and funding, and is limited to Tanzania nationals.
- Set technical direction and lead the work in the CQI technical area of the SHSS project providing the needed capacity building to the GOT and PHIs to strengthen and sustain quality improvement and quality management systems and services and ensuring alignment with Tanzania national and CDC/PEPFAR strategies and plans in Tanzania.
- Provide the needed capacity building and technical assistance to PHIs to ensure increased uptake and implementation in all facilities of the latest PEPFAR and WHO approved policies, guidelines and strategies for HIV prevention, care and treatment utilizing QI approaches and tools; increased capacity/competence at all levels on the use of data for HIV/AIDS quality and performance improvement
- Provide the needed technical support to PHIs to increase timely decision making at national and subnational levels in relation to QI in all relevant program areas via increased assessments and monitoring of program needs and gaps for the provision of technical assistance (TA), improved allocation of TA resources to address priority issues, increased data use and accountability for results
- Provide TA to GOT to sustain CQI in all aspects of HIV service provision at the national and subnational level, and across all project areas including information systems, monitoring and evaluation, and human resources for health
- Support the GOT in institutionalizing the Star Rating quality assessment and improvement system nationwide, with a focus on the sites offering HIV services;
- Provide the needed TA to GOT to advance existing system for monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the health facility QI plans and ensure that it is linked to appropriate national data management systems;
- Strengthening capacity of Tanzania PHIs in the development of QI tools and guidelines to improve monitoring, standards of care, and quality of HIV/AIDS care practice;
- Provide technical expertise to GOT to support the development of strategic frameworks, regulations and plans in the field of QI, for example in relation to health facility accreditation
- Effectively summarize and communicate the objectives, strategies, innovations, key messages, results and impact of the project’s QI/QM area to key global health community audiences and internal organizational audiences via fact sheets, highlights, technical briefs, peer-reviewed papers, conference presentations and other communication channels to create project identity and visibility, promote the donor investment in the country.
- Perform other duties on request of Project Director or home office Technical Lead(s).
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in medicine, pharmacy, public health, social science, or other relevant area; clinical background is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience providing TA to government agencies in developing and strengthening CQI in Tanzania, including assessment of HIV/AIDS care practices at health facilities, development of QI plans, and QI capacity building programs.
- At least 3 years of experience on US Government-funded or other donor-funded programs supporting strengthening of national HIV/AIDS systems in Tanzania.
- Deep knowledge of the Tanzania Health System, the Tanzania Health Sector HIV/AIDS epidemic response strategies, country structures for the provision of HIV services, and PEPFAR goals in Tanzania.
- Demonstrated experience developing or implementing QI data management systems in Tanzania.
- Experience developing recognition system based on QI performance in the Tanzania health sector context
- Knowledge of the Tanzania Star Rating Big Results Now QI standards and the health facility accreditation framework.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, government agencies, NGOs, other US Government funded cooperating agencies and donor organizations; and successfully bring together diverse groups of partners to achieve project goals.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated excellent English and Swahili language skills (both written and oral) with the ability to conduct business in English.
Candidates should note the possibility of relocation to Dodoma within 1-2 years of project implementation, depending on donor and MOH requirements.