is seeking a Principal HRH Advisor for a potential 5-year US Centers for Disease Control (CDC)-funded, Sustained Health Systems Strengthening (SHSS) Project in Tanzania. This project will provide technical assistance (TA) to the Government of Tanzania (GOT) in the form of capacity building of Public Health Institutions (PHIs) to implement and sustain quality health services, focusing on improving information systems, human resources capacity, financial management, and data use and integration, as part of achieving HIV epidemic control.
The Senior Technical Advisor for HRH will hold primary responsibility for achieving project results in the respective technical area including advancing task sharing policy implementation for health care workers, ensuring more equitable distribution of health care workforce, and sustained evidence-based HRH planning for the provision of HIV services in Tanzania.
This position is subject to project award and funding, and is limited to Tanzania nationals.
- Set technical direction and lead the work in the HRH technical area of the SHSS project providing the needed capacity building to the GOT and PHIs to strengthen and sustain HRH systems and services and ensuring alignment with Tanzania national and CDC/PEPFAR strategies and plans in the country.
- Provide the needed technical assistance to PHIs to ensure increased availability and use of high quality data to inform decision making in HRH planning, policies and implementation policies, including increased HRH capacity and service quality through implementation of task sharing policy, innovative interventions to reduce staff shortages and sustain the workforce, and to secure increased evidence and monitoring to assess outputs of HRH support.
- Strengthen PHIs capacity in conducting HRH needs assessments in Tanzania
- Provide the needed technical support to PHIs to demonstrate evidence of absorption from PEPFAR supported HCW to the GOT.
- Strengthen the capacity of the government and national agencies in sustaining certification based continuous professional development system.
- Provide the needed training and capacity building for HRH data analysis and effective utilization of Human Resources for Health Information System database and HRH tools to produce distribution, absorption, retention and allocation reports.
- Effectively summarize and communicate the objectives, strategies, innovations, key messages, results and impact of the project’s HRH area to key global health community audiences and internal organizational audiences via fact sheets, highlights, technical briefs, peer-reviewed papers, conference presentations and other communication channels to create project identity and visibility, promote the donor investment in the country.
- Perform other duties on request of Project Director or home office Technical Lead(s).
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters’ degree in human resources management, business administration, or a related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience providing technical assistance to government agencies in developing and strengthening HRH systems and services in Tanzania
- At least 3 years of experience on US Government funded or other donor-funded programs supporting strengthening of national HIV/AIDS systems in Tanzania.
- Deep knowledge of the Tanzania Health System, the Tanzania Health Sector HIV/AIDS epidemic response strategies, country structures for the provision of HIV services, and PEPFAR goals in Tanzania.
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing comprehensive health system strengthening interventions in the HRH field such as task sharing and continuous professional education, including HRH needs assessment, development of regulatory frameworks, strategic and operational plans, technical guidelines, tools, training materials, including e-learning materials, capacity building programs, advocacy materials, stakeholder coordination mechanisms, monitoring and evaluating frameworks, sustainability frameworks, mentorship, and quality assurance of services.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, development and use of HRH-specific information system (HRHIS), and HRH-specific tools, such as the Workforce Indicators for Staffing Needs (WISN) or Workforce Allocation and Optimization (WAO) in Tanzania.
- Extensive experience building capacity of Tanzania GOT and PHIs in the use of data for improved recruitment, allocation, distribution, and retention of health care workers for the provision of quality HIV services
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, government agencies, NGOs, other US Government funded cooperating agencies and donor organizations; and successfully bring together diverse groups of partners to achieve project goals.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills with the ability to conduct business in English.
Candidates should note the possibility of relocation to Dodoma within 1-2 years of project implementation, depending on donor and MOH requirements.